Thinking Of Getting A Facemill For My Fr45 Clone

sanddan

Active User
Registered
My mill came with a 4 insert 2" face mill that I have been using and would like to get a better quality version. I will get a 45 deg style with a built in R8 mount, the question I have is what size would be a good match for my size mill. I like the looks of the Glacern face mills and I have had good luck with my other Glacern products, would the 2.5" or 3" be the best size?

I would think you would be fine with the 3 inch. That is what I use on my Grizzly 0755.
Did your unit come with a spec sheet? For mine, they speced 3 inch max.

I have 5 insert 3 inch face mill on my PM 932. I haven't used it a whole lot, but it seems to handle it fine. I wanted something to face larger areas quickly, and the 3" face mill does the job far better than the 3/4" end mill I was previously using.

My machine is spec'd for 3" max as well.

IMG_4991.JPG

I have both 4" and 2-1/2" Glacern 45 deg face mills I use on my PM932. I rutienly take 0.100" passes with mo problems.

I opted for the 2.5 inch Glacern 45 degree. Why? Because it takes 5 inserts vs 6 for the 3" hence I get two full sets out of a 10 insert box for the 2.5 inch! Also one thing to remember, the larger the face mill the more accurately you will need your head trammed. If you have to make multiple passes any error will be magnified the larger the face mill you use.

I have both 4" and 2-1/2" Glacern 45 deg face mills I use on my PM932. I rutienly take 0.100" passes with mo problems.
That's great, my junk face mill complains if I take more than .020" cut in steel.

I opted for the 2.5 inch Glacern 45 degree. Why? Because it takes 5 inserts vs 6 for the 3" hence I get two full sets out of a 10 insert box for the 2.5 inch! Also one thing to remember, the larger the face mill the more accurately you will need your head trammed. If you have to make multiple passes any error will be magnified the larger the face mill you use.

Unless I can find a used one I will get the 2.5" Glacern. That's a good point on the number of inserts. I'll check ebay for a while in case something turns up.

My Shars 3" has 5 inserts as well. Good point regarding the necessity to have a well trammed head. Speaking of which, I need to check mine again. I'm not sure if you can see in the pic, but I'm not getting getting tool marks in both directions with my face mill.

The Glacerns are indeed a work of art. What inserts are you using Coolidge? I opt'd for some cheap SEAN's to get me going, but your finish is far superior.

Side note: Nice Buildpro! I splurged on one last year and it was one of the best investments I've made. There's much to be said about a solid, accurate work surface. I absolutely love mine.

Back