Thinking of Getting Keyway Broach and Arbor Press

HBilly1022

Registered
Registered
I've had a few occasions where I could have used a keyway broach (2 I think) and now find myself in the need again. First time I tried using my mill drill and a piece of HSS blank to drive through the steel but ran into issues. Ended up using a file. This time I tired using the lathe and still having issues. Plus it feels like abusing the lathe when I use the carriage to push the HSS bit through the material, which is pretty much always steel of unknown composition. So I'm thinking I should just get a cheap broach set and arbor press. These are the ones I'm looking at and wonder if anyone sees a problem with my selections. One concern is that the arbor press my not be powerful enough or have enough stroke.

Opinions please.

https://www.amazon.ca/Accusize-Stan...977&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=keyway+broach&psc=1

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/2-ton-arbor-press/A-p8604654e

The key criteria when choosing an arbor press for broaching applications is the distance from the ram to the table. It must be sufficient to fit the work being broached and the broach itself, and there must be sufficient clearance under the press for the broach to pass after it cuts through the work. Most of the 2 ton arbor presses I've seen are too small to handle broaching other than really small stuff.

For myself, I would settle for nothing less than a 3 ton arbor press.

Kijiji, maybe?

Hi Mike,

I did some more research since posting and found a few posts where the stroke distance was mentioned and the lack of power of a 2 ton arbor press. So now I'm thinking of this https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/12-ton-hydraulic-shop-press/A-p8604589e

Craig,

I checked the Accusize site too and seen the price difference and figured for $20 I'd just order it through Amazon. I can't imagine the shipping from Accusize being much cheaper since I'm across the country. Plus I get the Amazon backup if anything goes wrong. I just placed the order and will post a review when I get to use it. But first I will need a means of pushing the broach through the material. FYI, I've bought stuff from Accusize before and found their stuff to be fine for my needs but I'm definitely not an expert and only use this stuff for hobby use.

Yup, that'll do it. Lots of pumping but it will get it done. An arbor press is much faster but we can't always have what we want.

We used a Dake 1 1/2B at work and it was good for up to 3/8ths keys in mild steel.

Yup, that'll do it. Lots of pumping but it will get it done. An arbor press is much faster but we can't always have what we want.

I did a Craigslist and Kijiji search but all I found was short stroke arbor presses and almost all were 2 tons. One was 3 tons but it still had a short stroke.
I did find a nice Dake 3 ton arbor press at a local tool place but there is no way I'm spending $5,000 for one. For that kind of money I will gladly use a pump handle as many times as it takes. After getting all this stuff I may end up never using it again anyways, but I hope not.

Edit. My mistake the 3 ton is only $3,000. The $5,000 one is a 5 ton one.

Last edited:
Oh, trust me, you will definitely be using that hydraulic press again. I use mine for straightening shafts, replacing spindle bearings, pressing out really stubborn pins and press fitting all kinds of stuff. Money on a good press is rarely wasted and you'll become popular with your friends and neighbors, trust me.

Mike

I just watched a bunch of Youtube vids and I may have to rethink the hydraulic press but I want your opinion.

The vids I watched were: 1) a guy using a hand pump hydraulic press and I can see what you mean about pumping a lot. The vid was sped up and it still took a very long time to get through the process. It looked like it took about 40 pumps to get through the first feed of the broach. 2) Keith Fenner using a very large pneumatic press and even that took some time but I couldn't imagine doing that with a manual pump and 3) Tubalcain using a Dake arbor press. The Fenner vid was for a 1/2" broach and I doubt I will ever have a need for something that big. Well that's what I say now.:rolleyes:

I now have some understanding of what you were eluding to.

I'm not getting an expensive Dake press for the very few times I might use it. So the options are : 1) a $400 3 ton chinese arbor press with 12 1/2" of travel, which would be faster for broaching or 2) the 12 ton hydraulic press I linked above. I'm sort of leaning in that direction.

Which one do you consider more versatile?

look under shop presses and you will see one that I built to use for broach work---Dave

Back