Thinking of joining the RF-30 club, but I got some questions...

17. MACHINES TO LOOK AT, PART 3

There is a used machine dealer not too far away that has 3 or 4 Rong Fu clones for sale for $1,000 each. I can't tell if they are all the same; the pictures seem to be of two different machines (note the different labels and stands), but I saw at least 3 other ones in the picture in the ad. They are missing the front panel. Is this a big deal? I'd like to put a depth/Z-axis DRO on this and that seems like a good place to mount one.
I talked to the seller and he's "open to offers". He says he has tooling and other items he could include, depending on what deal we make.

Does anyone see any items of concern in these images? The seller says the machines were taken out of a shop that had these set up for 2nd operations. He says he looks for ones in decent shape and that these are all in good order. He was very forthcoming with information.

Let's use numbers to refer to images: 1-3 are top 3, L-R, 4-6 or bottom 3, L-R.

1. IMG_8813.jpg 2. IMG_9383.jpg 3. IMG_9384.jpg
4. IMG_9385.jpg 5. IMG_9386.jpg 6. IMG_9387.jpg

17. MACHINES TO LOOK AT, PART 3

There is a used machine dealer not too far away that has 3 or 4 Rong Fu clones for sale for $1,000 each. I can't tell if they are all the same; the pictures seem to be of two different machines (note the different labels and stands), but I saw at least 3 other ones in the picture in the ad. They are missing the front panel. Is this a big deal? I'd like to put a depth/Z-axis DRO on this and that seems like a good place to mount one.
I talked to the seller and he's "open to offers". He says he has tooling and other items he could include, depending on what deal we make.

Does anyone see any items of concern in these images? The seller says the machines were taken out of a shop that had these set up for 2nd operations. He says he looks for ones in decent shape and that these are all in good order. He was very forthcoming with information.

Let's use numbers to refer to images: 1-3 are top 3, L-R, 4-6 or bottom 3, L-R.

1. View attachment 341481 2. View attachment 341482 3. View attachment 341483
4. View attachment 341484 5. View attachment 341485 6. View attachment 341486
Pics #1, 5 and 6 look like the same machine. Missing Y-axis and one X-axis handwheel. Definitely well-used.
#2, 3 and 4 look like the same same machine and seems complete and the most cared for. This is the one I'd focus on.
The missing front panel is not an issue.
(as a complete aside I'm totally envious of what seems to be a decent used machinery market!)

Last edited:
Try to buy the best 3 for $2500 since he is taking offers, ask for as much tooling he is willing to throw in. Then keep the best one and put the other 2 on your local Craigslist for $1250.

Pics #1, 5 and 6 look like the same machine. Missing Y-axis and one X-axis handwheel. Definitely well-used.
#2, 3 and 4 look like the same same machine and seems complete and the most cared for. This is the one I'd focus on.

(as a complete aside I'm totally envious of what seems to be a decent used machinery market!)

Thanks for the input, much appreciated! Funny, I thought the table in #6 looked good (there appears to be some dust or something on it) and the one in #2 and #4 looked chewed up (I see what looks like chipped corners on the way channels). I think I need to go see these in person.

Try to buy the best 3 for $2500 since he is taking offers, ask for as much tooling he is willing to throw in. Then keep the best one and put the other 2 on your local Craigslist for $1250.

I thought of that! I think I can only carry two in my truck, though. I thought I could buy more than one and take the best pieces and make one really good machine then sell the others.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated! Funny, I thought the table in #6 looked good (there appears to be some dust or something on it) and the one in #2 and #4 looked chewed up (I see what looks like chipped corners on the way channels). I think I need to go see these in person.
I noticed the swarf/gunk/?? on the ways in pic 5 and thought that if that's indicative of the overall machine it wouldn't be great.
The proof in the pudding is going to be an in-person inspection.

I personally would not try to mix and match among the machines unless it's non-critical items. The reason I say that is because of experiences I've had where parts from two identical used machines would not interchange because they had not 'worn' in together.

I am real good at buying stuff and real lousy at selling stuff. So I would not buy multiple machines in the hope of selling off extra machines at a profit.

If these were hot items the dealer would not be willing to make a deal. There are three machines pictured. Picture #1 is one machine. #2,3 &4 are another machine and #5&6 are the third machine. The 2nd and 3rd machines have stands which is a plus. Although if the first machine is the best of the bunch I would ask for whichever stand you like to be part of the deal. Jeff you are good at haggling with sellers. Go look at them, see what extras he has and make an offer. Walk out the door if he doesn't take your offer.

These look to be well used machines. I wouldn't offer over $500 for any of them. See what he has in the way of tooling and adjust your offer accordingly.

16. STAND (continued)
Chuck, thanks, that's awesome. The welder I talked to suggested I use the 2"/1/8" thick material since he uses a lot of it and has it lying around. I asked about thinner material but he said he wouldn't recommend it (probably because he has lots of the other stuff! Ha!). He mentioned angle iron, but didn't think it would be as stiff as the square tubing. Also, I'd like something that doesn't have the sharp corners.

Not that I have a ton of experience welding up mill stands, but I prefer square tubing as well. There are uses for angle iron, I used it to make a rolling base for my bandsaw, but in general I think square tubing is stiffer and has a neater appearance. I don't think cost is much of a factor for something like a stand.

The missing faceplates are a non-issue as David says. You can use a piece of convenient sheet metal to fab up a replacement or a simpler cover panel. That space is where I mounted my z-axis DRO, which is, as you said, perfect for it. The depth stop is worse than useless, you won't miss it if you delete it to do the same.

I called him today to arrange to see them and the seller says he has two. I see at least 3 in the pictures so maybe he's sold some. Kind of a yellow flag if he says he has two, but has shown me 3. The covers are about $70 at Grizzly. I'm fine with fabbing one up, especially if I'm adding a DRO, but it's a negotiating point. He was able to find the part of the cover that came off.
IMG_9895.jpg

He has a 5" Kurt vise that he wants $200 for and a 4" as well. Not a very good picture and I'm not sure which vise it is or if this is both of them.
IMG_9896.jpg

The tables are not for sale, except he did indicate he might be willing to part with one. I'm going to look at these on Monday, since I didn't get done with work in enough time to get to the shop before it closed.
I'll try and get a deal on a mill and vise and see about a table, even though it's not tall enough. Chuck, I think the price is close to fair IF these are in decent shape, based on what is selling in this area, but of course I'm going to see how low I can go! Ha! It's about an hour drive without traffic, so I don't want to waste my time, but I think I need to see these in person; pictures just aren't going to cut it.

Stay tuned!

Back