Thinking of joining the RF-30 club, but I got some questions...

18. WHAT SIZE CLAMPING KIT SHOULD I GET?

I think I know the answer, but just to confirm: the slots are 16mm wide at the top (per the manual I found online) which is about 5/8". So this kit from LMS would work, correct?
This one: https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3667&category=11

If there's more appropriate one, let me know. I actually haven't used the clamping kit much on my smaller mill, so maybe I don't need one yet.

I personally would not try to mix and match among the machines unless it's non-critical items. The reason I say that is because of experiences I've had where parts from two identical used machines would not interchange because they had not 'worn' in together.

I agree. I was just going to mix and match handles and such, nothing critical or that wear against anything else in any significant way. I should have probably been more clear.

I thought you might like to see where I'm putting this mill. I Photoshopped the SketchUp drawing into a photo of my garage. The perspective isn't quite right, but close enough.
I had to move the metal shelving and make it double wide. I may just sell it. There is a table saw to the right. You can see the ON/OFF paddle and wood on the table. There is 36" between the white column and the shelf. The Queen's Chariot is just out of the picture on the left. My car is behind the mill (it has a cover on it). I think I'll need to add some sort of back piece to keep stuff off the car.
mill on table for location.jpg

Oops. Me bad. I was just looking at the number of pieces and did catch the size difference. Sorry.

I would recommend taking the $200 Kurt 5" under some serious consideration. You can't even buy Chinese for that price.

12. VISE (continued)
Shars.com has some: #202-1001 ($126), #202-1022 ($97), #202-1022A ($97), and #202-1001A ($126). Are these the same thing or different? I'm not familiar with a "lockdown vise".

I will, however, try to get a deal on the Kurt, so thanks for the input. The seller says he needs to get $200 for it, but maybe I can get it as part of a package. Can't hurt to ask. What if it's not a "real" Kurt, but a copy? Does that affect the price?

Precision Matthews and All Industrial also have clamping kits in the $50-60 range. I have one of the All Industrial kits, and it isn't bad for the price, looks like it may be the same one LMS sells. PM's kit is in a case, if you don't like the standard caddy most of these kits come in.

Precision Matthews 16mm - 5/8" clamping kit

All Industrial 5/8" clamping kit

Thanks for sending these! I've been looking for a better way to store the clamping kits. I posted awhile ago looking for alternatives, but everyone seems happy with the little shelf unit/caddy these all come with. I don't mind having them on the mill table, but I don't use them all the time and it would be nice to put them in a drawer out of the way.
I checked prices and shipping and these would be about $82 shipped. I might just make a tray that fits in the drawer for them.

Last edited:
Back