Thinking of Purchasing a Craftsman 12"

ChandlerJPerry

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Hey everyone, this is my first post on hobby machinist. I've lurked quite a bit over on practical, but you guys seemed a little friendlier. I work in sheet metal at a machine shop right now, and am looking to put a shop together in my garage. Unfortunately I am in Northern UT, and the market for machines seems to be sparse, a road trip to California isn't really in the cards for me at the moment either. I found this machine listed locally, but unfortunately it's at auction on eBay, with a starting bid of $750. I did some research on the serial and found it to be an early to mid 40's 12". What would you all feel comfortable paying for it? Frankly in real value I think it's worth about $500, but thanks to scarcity where I am I couldn't see myself paying more than $800. Definitely needs new belts and the rust looks superficial but it needs a thorough cleaning as well. It doesn't have a taper or milling attachment, steady, 4 jaw, or QCTP. And obv no QCGB. Thoughts? And does anyone in my neck of the woods have any tips for finding machines? Even the dealers in Salt Lake came up dry other than a Jet 9x20 that was lacking on features.

Attachments

• UTAH-Vintage-Craftsman-Atlas-6-12”-metal.jpg
    UTAH-Vintage-Craftsman-Atlas-6-12”-metal.jpg
    461.5 KB · Views: 78
  • UTAH-Vintage-Craftsman-Atlas-6-12-metal-_57.jpg
    UTAH-Vintage-Craftsman-Atlas-6-12-metal-_57.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 76
  • UTAH-Vintage-Craftsman-Atlas-6-12-metal-_57 (1).jpg
    UTAH-Vintage-Craftsman-Atlas-6-12-metal-_57 (1).jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 78
  • UTAH-Vintage-Craftsman-Atlas-6-12-metal-_57 (2).jpg
    UTAH-Vintage-Craftsman-Atlas-6-12-metal-_57 (2).jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 73
  • UTAH-Vintage-Craftsman-Atlas-6-12-metal-_57 (3).jpg
    UTAH-Vintage-Craftsman-Atlas-6-12-metal-_57 (3).jpg
    458.6 KB · Views: 74
  • UTAH-Vintage-Craftsman-Atlas-6-12-metal-_57 (4).jpg
    UTAH-Vintage-Craftsman-Atlas-6-12-metal-_57 (4).jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Hi and welcome.

That machine looks like a project, and one that might not be very satisfying when you get it finished. Time will be your best friend here, it's natural to want to get started right away but you're much more likely to have a good experience by being patient, whether it's waiting for the right deal to come up or saving your money until you can buy new.

Flat ways and no QCGB make the machine in question less desirable than many others of the same vintage, if it was up and running that would be one thing but without the ability to test it out you could be buying a pig in a poke (whatever that means);)

Check out the journey that @DavidR8 went through recently, his story isn't too much different that what you're facing.

Cheers,

John

imo, hold out for a better lathe

Last edited by a moderator:
You know your local market better than any of us - so if this is a 'once in a lifetime bargain' then definitely bid (or snipe on esnipe.com) on it up to your $800 limit.

There are no bids but 24 watchers, so there may or may not be a last-minute bidding frenzy. Local pickup only would be a problem for most buyers. If no bids the seller will probably re-list it and try again, hopefully at a lower minimum. I'd wait and see, another will come along eventually. Watch your local craigslist religiously - good stuff there comes and goes quickly.

However, that machine is definitely a project. Also remember "Carla's rule of 3". To get what you really want you have to sequentially buy two of something somewhat less than you hope for - after getting #1 and #2 lathe then the machine of your dreams will finally show up. That's when to pounce. And sell on #1 and #2 as you go along.

Just my opinion - YMMV

Stu

Looks pretty junky to me, and most of the tools with it are ditto, plus too much money by far.

I quite like that rule of 3 Stu, I've never heard that before. Utah is somewhat unique in that we basically don't use Craigslist, we have our own website called KSL, it serves the same function though and I have been checking it daily in hopes of finding something. I've also been looking at craigslist in surrounding states but it's been getting frustrating for sure. I've been on the hunt for several weeks now, if not months. The only other machines for sale near me are a South Bend 9C with very little tooling for 2,000, and a Jet 9x20 with a decent amount of tooling, which is a small import that uses change gears and has no tumble reverse or motor reverse for 1,200. Insanity if you ask me. Really my ideal would be something in the size range of a 10-13" SB, Logan or Sheldon, but I'm starting to feel like I will have to settle for something like this. Any lathe is better than no lathe after all.

If you can get it for small dollars then it’s probably ok. But no more than $600-800. IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I quite like that rule of 3 Stu, I've never heard that before. Utah is somewhat unique in that we basically don't use Craigslist, we have our own website called KSL, it serves the same function though and I have been checking it daily in hopes of finding something. I've also been looking at craigslist in surrounding states but it's been getting frustrating for sure. I've been on the hunt for several weeks now, if not months. The only other machines for sale near me are a South Bend 9C with very little tooling for 2,000, and a Jet 9x20 with a decent amount of tooling, which is a small import that uses change gears and has no tumble reverse or motor reverse for 1,200. Insanity if you ask me. Really my ideal would be something in the size range of a 10-13" SB, Logan or Sheldon, but I'm starting to feel like I will have to settle for something like this. Any lathe is better than no lathe after all.
Maybe any is better than none but assuming you aren’t in the position to buy new, whatever money you spend on buying and fixing up this one is not available to use on something better.

If the craftsman is local to you why not go take a look at it. Seeing it in person will give you a much better idea of what will be involved. For reference I just refurbished a 6” craftsman and have roughly the same amount into fixing it up as I paid for it.

john

Hey everyone, this is my first post on hobby machinist. I've lurked quite a bit over on practical, but you guys seemed a little friendlier. I work in sheet metal at a machine shop right now, and am looking to put a shop together in my garage. Unfortunately I am in Northern UT, and the market for machines seems to be sparse, a road trip to California isn't really in the cards for me at the moment either. I found this machine listed locally, but unfortunately it's at auction on eBay, with a starting bid of $750. I did some research on the serial and found it to be an early to mid 40's 12". What would you all feel comfortable paying for it? Frankly in real value I think it's worth about $500, but thanks to scarcity where I am I couldn't see myself paying more than $800. Definitely needs new belts and the rust looks superficial but it needs a thorough cleaning as well. It doesn't have a taper or milling attachment, steady, 4 jaw, or QCTP. And obv no QCGB. Thoughts? And does anyone in my neck of the woods have any tips for finding machines? Even the dealers in Salt Lake came up dry other than a Jet 9x20 that was lacking on features.

I live in the same area as you. Your best bet is to watch the classified section of KSL.com. I have purchased a number of Atlas Lathes, restore & Repair them and resell on this same site. You may need to increase your budget for this purchase, 6” Atlas go for $400 to $800 in this area depending on condition and tooling. 12” Atlas go for $900 to $1800 depending on the same conditions. I have a 6” I am working on at the moment. My personal Lathe is a 12” Commercial from the 1970’s. I have been very happy with my Atlas lathes.

Last edited by a moderator:
What worked for me was putting out a want ad. I did that and had four responses in minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back