Thinking of upgrading from my Logan 820

Richard White (richardsrelics)

Registered
Registered
Some of you may know but I restore ancient outboard motors. I prefer those from 1924 and older, as the parts have to be made in order to repair the motors.
That being said, the 10 inch, just does not have enough throw to allow me to machine the flywheels when refinishing or machining new castings. I honestly have not looked at Logan's offerings of the vintage era to see if they made a 12 or 14 inch lathe with a bed turret and 36 inch bed, assuming they had the option of a taper attachment as one of my other projects is threading on a taper. I am not necessarily brand loyal either... What was available?

Last edited:
The first two of those catalogs are in Downloads, along with several others. They are "original" Logan. The third one is by Powermatic, which I understand is somehow connected to Grizzly.

In the future, please check Downloads before uploading another file. A direct link instead of another copy of the same file will save storage space.

I've got a 14" Logan (6560) and am quite pleased with it. Something like a 40" bed, maybe longer.

Logan still sells the taper attachment for it ($1500 or thereabouts), and looking at the old product line catalogue they sent me, there were both bed (capstan) and compound/toolpost turrets available. Can't speak to the availability of those, though.

The first two of those catalogs are in Downloads, along with several others. They are "original" Logan. The third one is by Powermatic, which I understand is somehow connected to Grizzly.

In the future, please check Downloads before uploading another file. A direct link instead of another copy of the same file will save storage space.

Powermatic became part of Jet in 1999, but there is no connection to Grizzly that I've found. The Logan by Powermatic lathes seem to have been discontinued in the 1980s when the parent company Houdaille was dissolved. The Logan-Powermatic lathes were manufactured in Tennessee.

The Logan-Powermatic lathes updated the older machines to be more competitive with modern lathes available in the 70s and changed the housings from the round Art Deco look, to squared off "modern" looking housings. They also replaced a lot of the cast iron housings with cast aluminum. The Logan-Powermatic lathes have some unique parts, but they still share a lot of interchange with the older Logans and parts are available from Logan.

Under Powermatic the smallest lathe offered was a 10x24 and the largest a 15x40.

For the OP it is my understanding that the bed is shared between the 10, 11 and 12" lathes, so some accessories may transfer to a larger Logan or Logan-Powermatic.

Last edited:
The third one is by Powermatic, which I understand is somehow connected to Grizzly.

The Powermatic brand is now under the same umbrella as Jet and Wilton (JPW Industries). I don't believe they sell any metal working tools under the Powermatic brand anymore. Back when that catalog was published Powermatic was under the Houdaille umbrella with Burgmaster. I don't believe there is any Grizzly connection with Logan other than green paint.

There were some larger Powermatic branded gear head lathes made in Japan by Takisawa, see this catalog: http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/655/20019.pdf

If you want to read a sad story about industry mismanagement (Burgmaster & Houdaille) find a copy of
"When the Machine Stopped: A Cautionary Tale From Industrial America"
by Max Holland ISBN 0-87584-244-5

OK, Somewhere or somehow, and I thought that it was from comments in this Forum, I had gotten the impression that the Logan name had been bought out by some Chinese outfit that was selling in the USA as Grizzly. As I had no interest in them, I didn't bother to try to confirm the statement(s).

The Powermatic metal working equipment was sort of a Grizzly green, so I can see how someone could hear about Jet buying Powermatic, then think Jet = Chinese = Grizzly = green = Chinese Logans. Really not a stretch for someone only tangentially interested in the brand.

Houdaille also bought Burke who made Millrite Mills and then sold them under the Powermatic brand, also painted green.

The first two of those catalogs are in Downloads, along with several others. They are "original" Logan. The third one is by Powermatic, which I understand is somehow connected to Grizzly. ** Edit ** And as explained above was not correct.

Sorry. Deleted the two duplicated files.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back