Thinning down the herd .

I qualified for my pension when I turned 55 last October. I’m a toolmaker and I must love my job as I don’t mind hanging out here for 8hrs a day, it’s just that getting up at 4:30 every day is getting old.

I could probably afford to retire at 60 but the way things are looking we may be out of business by or before then anyway.

I intend to work till I am 67 then move back to the country, North East Texas, Build me a shop and do some machine work, some wood work a bit of saw milling maybe build a car or 2.... Retirement to me is stop doing what other people tell you to do and do what you want to do and I love doing these things (oh and controling my own schedule), if I stop moving I'll stop breathing and that isn't an option for me. Of coarse I love what I currently do for a living and the company I work for; but, I am not a real fan of the stress...

Officially retired the beginning of this month and plan on tearing apart my shop areas . Quite an extensive list of tools , tooling and equipment . The list is long .........too long so this will be a slow process but things will move faster as I have more time . I will make a list of what I have and can go but if you have a hankering for certain items , shoot me a pm .

I have 2 people waiting on me for tap wrenches now . I'll get to you this week .

I have to say , looking forward to retirement was a dream but now it kinda sucks . I miss working already after a few weeks .
I’ve been looking for a good reason to run down to Baltimore (other than to visit Dangerously Delicious & Berger’s and stop in at Poly).

Funny how that works!!
After a year and a half of retirement, I'm having a blast.
Stay busy, no TV during the day. It will put you in the grave.

Dave, you'll do fine but I can see you doing side jobs until you can't :)
Lot of wisdom in these words! Don't let your retirement turn into indolence. Sit in a chair and die or work at something and thrive.

GsT

I qualified for my pension when I turned 55 last October. I’m a toolmaker and I must love my job as I don’t mind hanging out here for 8hrs a day, it’s just that getting up at 4:30 every day is getting old.

I could probably afford to retire at 60 but the way things are looking we may be out of business by or before then anyway.
How fortunate you are to enjoy what you do for a living.
I am one of those who went to work for a pay check. My passion was not where I spent my week days.
It's the daily grind that I just couldn't do anymore.
I went out at 65. Never looked back. Been smiling ever since.

Counting down the years!

How fortunate you are to enjoy what you do for a living.
I am one of those who went to work for a pay check. My passion was not where I spent my week days.
It's the daily grind that I just couldn't do anymore.
I went out at 65. Never looked back. Been smiling ever since.
For the most part of my time in the 44 years I spent in the workforce I enjoyed and got satisfaction from what I was doing. The last six months and a few brief spans along the way were not ad good. I waited until I was 68 so I could pickup consulting work if I wanted without impacting SS, but didn’t think twice about not staying until 70 for the extra $$. The subsequent years have been enjoyable time with my family & hobbies.

Officially retired the beginning of this month and plan on tearing apart my shop areas . Quite an extensive list of tools , tooling and equipment . The list is long .........too long so this will be a slow process but things will move faster as I have more time . I will make a list of what I have and can go but if you have a hankering for certain items , shoot me a pm .

I have 2 people waiting on me for tap wrenches now . I'll get to you this week .

I have to say , looking forward to retirement was a dream but now it kinda sucks . I miss working already after a few weeks .
uh, if you retired at the beginning of the month, you aren't even a week in... Not a few weeks... but don't worry, you'll make it... It's tough to adjust at first, but it gets MUCH better once you come to terms with it. You do a little every day..

I can't wait to pursue my agenda on my own terms. Boredom is a foreign concept to me, my drive and motivation comes from hunger to learn and explore. When the time comes, retirement won't be something that just happens, it will be something that I am in control of and have agency in. My vocation is what I do, not who I am.

Back