Third hand with GREAT fingers

hman

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Adam Savage of Mythbusters and Tested (youtube) recently gave out a link to this "third hand" setup, which has finger clips far superior to the usual alligator clips you see on the this type of unit.:

The unit, with two clips, is $80+tax ($85.80 in Arizona).

I ordered one a couple weeks ago. It had a pretty long lead time, and every time I checed Amazon for delivery info, it said the item had been picked up by the carrier (USPS). But when I actually checked the tracking number with USPS, they said a label had been prepared, but the item not yet sent.

So I sent a message to the seller, asking what the truth was. Theyapparently gave up, cancelled the order, and gave me a refund. I re-ordered the item a couple days later ... same story,LONG lead time (ETA March6-20), and they say it's been picked up, but the USPS says it hasn't. I strongly suspect that the (allegedly US - based)seller does not actually have any stock on hand, and just orders the units from back home in China when they get an order. They then generate a USPS shipping label, wait for the slow boat to arrive from China, and send it out once received.

So I guess I'll just have to wait for a while to get it!
I'll post again when (if) I receive the unit.

Last edited:
Adam Savage of Mythbusters and Tested (youtube) recently gave out a link to this "third hand" setup, which has finger clips far superior to the usual alligator clips you see on the this type of unit.:

The unit, with two clips, is $80+tax ($85.80 in Arizona).

I ordered one a couple weeks ago. It had a pretty long lead time, and every time I checed Amazon for delivery info, it said the item had been picked up by the carrier (USPS). But when I actually checked the tracking number with USPS, they said a label had been prepared, but the item not yet sent.

So I sent a message to the seller, asking what the truth was. Theyapparently gave up, cancelled the order, and gave me a refund. I re-ordered the item a couple days later ... same story,LONG lead time (ETA March6-20), and they say it's been picked up, but the USPS says it hasn't. I strongly suspect that the (allegedly US - based)seller does not actually have any stock on hand, and just orders the units from back home in China when they get an order. They then generate a USPS shipping label, wait for the slow boat to arrive from China, and send it out once received.

So I guess I'll just have to wait for a while to get it!
I'll post again when (if) I receive the unit.
I got mine several years ago from GRS; more expensive but quality tools made in USA (and are in stock).

I got mine several years ago from GRS; more expensive but quality tools made in USA (and are in stock).
Many thanks! I just ordered two of the clips from them.

I did (FINALLY) receive the unit I'd re-ordered from the infamous Amazon seller I ranted about several posts ago. Once the Post Office picked it up from them, it took just a couple days to get here. The unit appears to be nicely functional, with what seem to be stainless steel finger tips. I plan to get quite a bit of good use out of it. If absolutely necessary, I can replace the articulated finger units with those I bought from GRS.

Thanks again, @ChazzC

I did (FINALLY) receive the unit I'd re-ordered from the infamous Amazon seller I ranted about several posts ago. Once the Post Office picked it up from them, it took just a couple days to get here. The unit appears to be nicely functional, with what seem to be stainless steel finger tips. I plan to get quite a bit of good use out of it. If absolutely necessary, I can replace the articulated finger units with those I bought from GRS.

Thanks again, @ChazzC
Da nada. You can also make finger tips from Tungsten TIG rods.

Here is typically how I get packages that originate in China (whether via eBay's Oragnce Connect or other):

• Arrives at JFK as part of a bulk shipment, is broken down, a final destination label applied and clears Customs
  • Is delivered to Bridgeport, NJ, where there is a UPS Hub
  • UPS delivers (again as part of a bulk shipment) to the local Post Office
  • Post Office accepts the bulk package, then it takes a day or so for them to actually receive it into their system
  • Delivery is made
UPS SurePost, Mail Innovations (UPSMI) are similarly handled (a third party gathers individual packages and sends to a hub). FedEx has a similar system, but I can't remember the name. LTL freight is an analogous system.

Da nada. You can also make finger tips from Tungsten TIG rods.

Here is typically how I get packages that originate in China (whether via eBay's Oragnce Connect or other):

• Arrives at JFK as part of a bulk shipment, is broken down, a final destination label applied and clears Customs
  • Is delivered to Bridgeport, NJ, where there is a UPS Hub
  • UPS delivers (again as part of a bulk shipment) to the local Post Office
  • Post Office accepts the bulk package, then it takes a day or so for them to actually receive it into their system
  • Delivery is made
UPS SurePost, Mail Innovations (UPSMI) are similarly handled (a third party gathers individual packages and sends to a hub). FedEx has a similar system, but I can't remember the name. LTL freight is an analogous system.
Thanks for your insight. It kinda fits with what I said in post #1:

"I strongly suspect that the (allegedly US - based)seller does not actually have any stock on hand, and just orders the units from back home in China when they get an order."

Back