This Clausing 8520 followed my home

Nice find on that 8520, Jerry, and a nice repair too!

Your steel sleeve should be just fine. I repaired the rear hub on my 83 Honda Gold Wing the same way, using a steel sleeve, pressed in along with plain old red Loctite . I had to borrow the use of a friend's 24" lathe to turn the bearing recess, but it worked just fine. As previously mentioned, I pressed in the sleeve, then turned the bore of the sleeve to the final dimension. After that the wheels got new bearings every time they got new tires. Bearings were cheap compared to wheel hubs.

The reason that I would have used 6061T6 Aluminum instead of steel for the bore sleeve is that steel and aluminum have different thermal coefficients of expansion. But the steel sleeve will probably be OK.

Nice deal , very good price. The speeds are usually to fast on most small mills , something I've never understood. The mill looks to be in great shape good luck with it. Your pulley repair will hold longer then the bearings I'd bet. If it were three phase a VFD would help with speeds, reverse , easier taping and more.

if you have a 1725 rp motor your speeds will be fine. I made a part like was on the early 8520's where you loosen th draw bar and keep turning and it hits a stop and pushes the collect out of the spindle rather then banging on the draw bar.

My 8520 has the hum of industry now. I made another spacer out of aluminum, not because I needed to, I just wanted to play on the lathe. I used perm loctite and pressed the spacer in. Installed the bearing. On the other bearing I dimpled the race and installed the bearing. I also replaced the 2 bearings in the other pulley. The mill sounds really good!

What is the purpose of the the 2 plugs, with spring and set screw in the plate above the front pulley? Mine only had the 2 set screws, no springs or plugs.

I assume you are talking the plug and spring in the black piece with 2 pins and 2 bolts, and a spline .
The spring and plug (nylon or delrin) are to create some friction to the spindle, probably to prevent knocking, and also to prevent if from dropping.
I have mine tightened pretty good and it still drops... so it's not working that good for that. :(

Woochucker, that is what I'm talking about. Thats what I was thinking, just taking up the slack. Worth worrying about? When first starting to rotate the plate/pulley will move I'm guessing 1/16 - 1/8" before the spindle moves. So you hear that noise on start up.

Back