This doesn't look right

Inferno

Registered
Registered
I was hogging out a piece of aluminum using a 17mm end mill and running at the fastest speed my machine would go. Don't ask me how fast cuz I don't know.
Every time I heard the bit chatter a little, I would run the mill chuck up a smidge. That kept the chatter down to nothing.

This wasn't the first time I used this method for hogging out metal on this machine so I wasn't nervous. Heck, I was even using the vacuum while I was making each pass on power feed.

I wasn't vacuuming when this happened. It gave no warning other than a microsecond of chatter and then, well, you can see what happened.

Do you think super glue can fix it?

20200501_211401.jpg

My original idea, to save time, was to drill through the block to make turning points and then use the bandsaw to cut the bulk of the metal away.
I'm hogging out a 1.75 X 1.75 X 2.25 chunk. It's a lot of milling on a cheap Chinese combo.

I think I'll go back to the bandsaw idea.

Luckily I have another milling chuck. A little more robust than this one.

Also, there were no cats harmed in the making of this mistake.

The 'stem' for your drill chuck can be replaced. Make another. Perfect opportunity to experiment / practice heat treating.

You gentlemen are correct.
Sometimes we work with what we have.

The good news is the chuck is fine. It's the cheap POS adapter that broke.

I guess now it's a good time to shop for an (economical) milling chuck

20200501_213901.jpg

And sometimes what we have is the wrong tool to do what it is that we want to do. As you found out. ;)

Tom
Well, yeah. That's how it happens with hobbies.
It took a very long time in life before I could get proper tools. I'm slowly building. I have a built in aversion (I grew up very very poor) to spending a lot of money on a tool I'll use once.Us poor folk always had to make do.

I am pretty sure I wouldn't have had a problem if I kept the mill bit smaller than a half inch. Live and learn.

End mills run better in a collet or a holder. Drill chucks have too much run out. Any pictures of what your making? We all love pictures. Don't sweat the small stuff. No injuries all is good. We have all been there. The only person who doesn't make mistakes is someone who never does anything.

We all have made beginners mistakes. My mistakes have shown that from an economics point of view using the wrong tool or inadequate tool is probably the most expensive route.

The MT3-JT33 arbor looks like it was severely side loaded to break like that. More photos would help. Please don't overlook roughing mills. They do a much better job of hogging out parts.

Good and proper tools are the best investments I have ever made.They don't break and we get to keep all our fingers and toes. Add the extra joy we get from using stuff that actually works and good tools become very inexpensive entertainment.

Last edited:
Back