This Followed Me Home

Your hammering in high speed sounds like a jack hammer! ;)
Nice time lapse of the paint stripper.....you can see it crackle/buckle.

I have to agree that that void at the bottom of the knee ways was put there for a reason, I just cannot figure out what that reason was!
Did you do anything with/about it?

Were those all the original lead-screws and nuts that you put back in?

Nice video, thanks for sharing it!

-brino

Thunderdog,

Can you take a very close up picture of the Delta name plate and post.

Ken

brino, I decided to leave the void alone. Didn't even cover it with a plate in the back. If by lead screws you mean the acme threaded screws, yes they are original. The set screws were replaced with new and longer (appropriately sized) set screws. I know it was previously mentioned that some machines had small pieces of brass inside the set screws, but I find this annoying and similar to a problem of Myford/Drummond spindle bearings. The Myford/Drummond lathe uses brass inserts under two set screws on the spindle bearings. They are a a pain to deal with because they tend not to relieve themselves/loosen if the set screws are loosened for adjustment. Therefore if they don't release the only way to adjust them is with a disassembly. Don't ask how I know this. :)

Here is the pic.
Mill20Tag_zps0atcmfrz.jpg

One other thing that I would like to add for those who might be researching what this machine really may be. The cover plate(the black disc) on the front of the spindle is definitely not original. It is a piece of aluminum. Hence the reason for painting it black.

Last edited:
Thunderdog, Thanks for posting the picture. That helps a bunch! At least, it narrows it down to the company original name and it's location. Doesn't appear it is connected with the well known Delta Machinery Co. as most of us know for woodworking machinery. We'll keep looking. Thanks. Ken

BTW- Looking at the old Sheldon Vernon No. 0 horizontal mill, there are similarities on the front portion of the mill. But it has a variable speed pulley system instead of step pulleys as your mill has. Just an observation. May not be any connection there. You never know.

One of the thing you might try to clean up that tag is lacquer thinner. Test it in a small area first. That is what I used to remove the paint on a Sprunger bandsaw. Worked great with no damage to it.

That nameplate is obviously a dealer's plate that is it was put on by the dealer that originally sold the machine, nothing to do with the manufacturer; these used to be very common, not so much any more.
Very rough castings suggest to me a likely World War Two vintage when production was of greater importance than nicety.

I finally watched your video; the fact that it has a tee slot in the front bearing cover tells me that it originally had a swiveling vertical attachment that would have fastened up to it.

Really good video. Looks like you are going to have a really nice mill when you are done. I also believe that the casting and some of the modifications were done to keep the machine working when that was more important than actually making a proper repair. Did you take any measurements before you started on the rebuild? Just courious as to how much play and wear you found.
Jim

Back