This is called repair or replace in due time

pdentrem

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
We have a rolling mill that is our main machine. 90% of our product starts at the machine. We purchased it used and had it modified and rebuilt at that time. That was 15 yrs ago.

Over the last few years there has been a clunk sound coming out of the drive section. So couple years ago I took it apart and saw that the sleeve bearings were worn out, actually damaged, and the driver journals as well. My plan of attack was to have new sleeve bearings made with a smaller ID and to grind the journals to match the new smaller size and thus clean up, renew, the journals. These bearings are of a size that the material is not cheap. 3 of them are 4" long and just under 3" OD and 2.5" ID. The forth is longer about 7" but same OD/ID.

As this machine is used ALL THE TIME, we waited until the time was right. Well yesterday was the day. In the afternoon I tore it down and today the drivers were setup in the lathe to remove about .030" of junk surface and minimize the time on the universal grinder. While that was happening I pressed out the old bearings and installed the new bearings after the grease holes and channels were cut in. By 3 pm today the rolling mill was up and running, with new bearings, lube system for the rest of the machine flushed, lube filter changed and the new bearings greased and buttoned up.

The damage was the same for ALL the bearings. I would not expect that all would have gone bad due to poor maintaince and in fact we hit the grease fittings every 2 months, the RPM is only 2 to 5 and grease works well for this application. I believe that in the past prior to our buying the mill that the damage was caused by poor thinking. The machine is old enough that I think someone decided to change from oil lube for the bearings to grease. He removed oil feed tubes and threaded the holes for grease fittings. The chips were not cleared and the pictures show what the result was.

Note that the machine was to have been rebuilt by the vender. This I firmly doubt as so does the owner.

I thought you may like to see what the old bearings looked like. This is 1 of 4 and they all look the same. I added a picture of a small rolling mill and the arrow is pointing to where the drivers live.

outside-view.jpg inside-bushing.jpg inside-view.jpg rolling-mill.jpg

Looks like they've been running with a handful if gravel in there. Can you see any improvement in the rolled surface? I take it this is not a hot roll operation.

I will not know until the next lot of metal. Likely I will not see an difference but who knows. Looks to be next week, this is the longest that the machine will not be used in the 14 yrs that I have been here. That is why we did it now.
It is a hot rolling machine but not TRUE hot only up to 670F and usually only 540F. We do not like using the higher temp as Viton seals on the chocks for the rolls will not last long even with recirculating oil cooling.

I showed the bearing pictured to my neighbor, he has machine shop experience from the other side, ie not production work. He was shocked and when I mentioned my idea of the grease fittings install, he agreed as he had normally seen just a line that around the bearing before the piece imbeds itself in the bearing.

Just an update. There is no real change in the rolled material as I expected. The drive motor is happier though. It now gets up to full rpm (1800) where before it would not go above 1700 and it is not making any noises in doing so.
Repair is done and good for another 50 yrs!

Good job on those Bronze Bearings pdentrem, It prolly will last another 50 years!

Paul

Note that the machine was to have been rebuilt by the vender. This I firmly doubt as so does the owner.

I thought you may like to see what the old bearings looked like. This is 1 of 4 and they all look the same. I added a picture of a small rolling mill and the arrow is pointing to where the drivers live.

Very nice job on the repair. It's been my experience that about 95% of the time "rebuilt" means that they painted it for sale. (On Harleys it's "changed plugs")

-Ron

Very nice job on the repair. It's been my experience that about 95% of the time "rebuilt" means that they painted it for sale. (On Harleys it's "changed plugs")

-Ron

Harley's use spark plugs? I thought they were fired with an oily rags, self lubed of course!:biggrin:

Back