This is probably old hat for you guys, but need advice on how to move my new mill

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Well, the nice man dropped off the pallet at the top of the driveway, exactly where I told him to. I thought I'd be able to move it. Turns out, my strength isn't what it used to be. It's possible to lift up the crate onto either a hydraulic lift cart or a hand truck using my engine hoist. Have a brick walkway that I can roll the cart to the front door. What I can't do yet is get the crate onto the front porch where it is covered.

My plans were to get the crate to the steps and figure out a way to get up the granite steps on the porch. Best I can come up with is a hand truck and a few strong helpers. The hoist won't work, because the boom obviously won't extend beyond the legs. The hydraulic cart won't work because it can't get close enough to the porch edge. I haven't tried busting a gut yet, but it seems I can't move it at all when it's on the crate. Only movement I could get was about 1/8" of travel when I hit the bottom of the pallet with a heavy hand sledge. I moved it a whopping 5/8" after about 10 hits. This was on asphalt. Not a viable method of travel. ;)

Once on the porch, which has a roof, I can de-crate and disassemble the mill and bring it into the basement. In the meantime, it's raining. I've covered up the crate with plastic, but, I don't want to leave it outside any longer than I have to. The desire is to use the mill, not have it as driveway art!

Fortunately, it's just a PM25, so not that heavy. What have you guys done that makes this easier? Or, if I may ask, what's the easier way to do this? The walkway takes 4 right angle turns to get to the door. Not a straight shot. I was thinking about rollers but had no idea about diameter or material, or how to negotiate right angles. Over thinking it, most likely, but haven't done something like this before. I'd be most grateful for your advice.

To move my PM25, I took it apart. I removed the motor and the table. You can also remove the head, if needed. It's not bad. The base was still pretty heavy, but doable.

I haven't had good enough weather to de-crate in the open. If I had 1.1 days of no rain, it would be a bit easier. The 0.1 is to account for my screw ups! Tomorrow is supposed to be very nice, so it will be the day.

Dis-assemble the crate, where you are, take out the four screws holdinlg the column in place, You should be able to lift the column and head togehter. take it away, come back and get the rest.

You should be able to do it before dark. Putting it together may be harder.

Rain? have a friend hold an umbrfella.

Thanks. Had no idea the level of effort. You make it sound easy. I will find out shortly.

I was really surprised I could barely budge it.

I was afraid to remove the column. The alignment will be out when reattached. Plus, you need large, short Allen wrenches. They were in TIGHT.

It is listed as 330 lbs wit h the base and the crate is 28 x 28 x 36Tall. That will fit through most doorways easily. buy or rent a dolly and strap the crate to the dolly and go. I would take that up to the porch in the house and down the basement steps while still in the crate and then work on it at your pleasure. At most you might need two people to drag it up the steps to the porch. I have done up to 600 lbs on the dolly going down the steps by myself, and I am old, and the wolves are after me. My mill in the basement is 3400 lbs The base and column was 1800 by itself.

It is not hard to do, dont over think it and psych yourself out. BUT do plan it so that you stay safe. It is heavy enough to cause damage and/or serious injury or worse if it gets away from you.

Four 30" pieces of 1-1/4" pipe make nice rollers. Lift one end of the crate up with a bar and slide a piece of pipe under the crate. You shoulf be able to push the crate on the roller. When it is about 1/3rsd the way place a second under. continue pushing until the first roller is about 2/5rds of the way under and insert a third roller.. Continue pushing until the first roller is about to come out and insert the fourth roller. Continue this process ro your destination. To turn corners, insert the rollers at a 45º angle.

To move up or down stairs I use 2 x 8 planks. I screw 2 x 4 cross bars in the underside to keep the planks aligned. You can forgo the rollers and slide the crate. Going down the ramp, I use a come-along anchored to a crossbar spanning a doorway or similar as a safety to prevent a runaway, releasing a few inches of cable and pushing the crate down to take up the slack. Going up, I just pull it up with the come-along. A boat winch with a 2" nylon strap will also work and most likely be faster.

I'd love to just pick it up and move the crate into my basement. Then I can take as much time as my friends at HM will allow me to get going. :laughing:

Yes, I surely am overthinking it. My stairwell is narrow, creaky, 29" wide, but the doorway casing is only 27". The landing wouldn't meet today's code, it's not big enough to turn a loaded hand truck. (I've tried!) It's an old house. I really don't want to pull the door casing, because I lack the ability to rebuild the doorway. (Not in my skill set.) This younger part of the house was built in 1872, so nothing is standard. The earlier part was built in 1853. About the only thing that is standard in my house is lumber, a 2 x 4 really is 2" x 4". (Oak and chestnut, rough cut!) I'm going to have to disassemble the mill and rebuild it. I expected this from the beginning.

Since @T Bredehoft isn't here holding my umbrella, I'm going to wait til tomorrow. :D Then some way or another, that mill is going to move. Have some dolly's so whatever I can move will. The rest I'll have to cover until Monday, when I can commandeer some additional help.

Four 30" pieces of 1-1/4" pipe make nice rollers. Lift one end of the crate up with a bar and slide a piece of pipe under the crate. You shoulf be able to push the crate on the roller. When it is about 1/3rsd the way place a second under. continue pushing until the first roller is about 2/5rds of the way under and insert a third roller.. Continue pushing until the first roller is about to come out and insert the fourth roller. Continue this process ro your destination. To turn corners, insert the rollers at a 45º angle.

To move up or down stairs I use 2 x 8 planks. I screw 2 x 4 cross bars in the underside to keep the planks aligned. You can forgo the rollers and slide the crate. Going down the ramp, I use a come-along anchored to a crossbar spanning a doorway or similar as a safety to prevent a runaway, releasing a few inches of cable and pushing the crate down to take up the slack. Going up, I just pull it up with the come-along. A boat winch with a 2" nylon strap will also work and most likely be faster.
@RJSakowski
Thanks for your reply! I was wondering how to do the rollers and turn corners. The pallet bottom isn't flat, how do you avoid getting stuck in between the boards?

Big 3' pallet looks like
| ___________________________________ |
|______| |_______| about 1/2" thick board

28" Crate bottom is more like
| _________ ____________ |
|____| |____| |_____| about 1.5" thick height

The forum is not preserving spacing of my ascii art.

Guess one needs to fab a flat base. Have some 3/4" plywood for a base.

For the 2x8's you plank the whole run? Or?

I'll check on the come-along that's floating about in the garage. No idea how long it is. Err, not there. Probably in storage. Have to make a visit today.

Thanks for the practical suggestions! A boat winch sounds interesting as well.

Maybe I'll figure out a way to pull the doorway. It's so close...

Back