This is the start of something small - Craftsman 101

Tom,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

I don't know as I don't yet have any within that date range (but am looking). My comment was based on the fact that the QCGB came out circa 1951 and seems to have displaced some earlier photos for page space. And anything later than 1957 begins to show the later 1/2" way 12" and the photos of the 10" disappear. However, I seriously doubt it. It would be a minor accessory and might not have made the cut. I have 6 or 7 editions from 1955 on and none seem to have any 618 photos at all. Whether there are any in the editions before 1950 or not I don't yet know. But there are at least fewer photos of things that bear no resemblence to the 6" versions. If you do come across an earlier edition, don't forget to check for photos in the Accessories section as well as the Lathe section.

Robert D.

What kind of chuck is this on the Atlas? This is a great thread. Thanks

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello I am new to this entire hobby, but recently picked up a Craftsman 101. It appears to be a potentially good machine. When I bought it however, it did not have the motor. The owners manual is available in paper copy and digital which I do have. All the info I need to get a replacement motor is there and in this thread. My question is about what pulley I need for the motor since it is set up for cutting thread. I hate to get the wrong one and it all be off because the speed is wrong. Would appreciate any and all help.

Thanks
Chase

Actually the pulley size is only related to the rpm. It has nothing to do with the threading operation. If you are smaller than factory, the rpms will be lower and naturally the reverse if larger. Some lathe also had a 2 step pulley system to allow a wider range of rpm.
Pierre

Chase,

You didn't say which size lathe you have. 9", 10" and 12" all use the same pulley, Atlas 9-428 for 1/2" motor shaft diameter and 10-428 for 5/8". Atlas 6" uses M6-428 for 1/2" motor shaft diameter and M6-429 ** for 5/8". Go to the Atlas/Craftsman folder in DOWNLOADS and look for the Atlas drawings folder. There is an aftermarket drawing to make a 10-428 and a factory drawing for M6-428. If you need one for the other shaft diameter, that is the only difference between each pair. Several pulleys have been made from the 10-428 drawing so it's OK.

You are unlikely to be able to find any commercial 2-step pulleys that match. The reason is that almost all of them come in only 1/2" or 1" increments whereas the original pulleys were designed to produce specific RPM's while maintaining approximately the same belt tensions from speed to speed. So unless you find or make an original, you may have to make up a new RPM table and move the motor and/or countershaft when you change speeds.

Read the DOWNLOADS instructions in the Sticky area up top before you start looking.

** Correction - originally said M6-428.

Last edited:
OK. Then use the M6-428 drawing for original pulley dimensions other than motor shaft diameter.

Back