This is the start of something small - Craftsman 101

Here is a link to a article on removing the spindle to replace the belt or bushings.Read it carefully as there are some set screw burs you need to file down.

http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/atlas/spindle/spindle.html

Bill L.

Link belts are your friend here. NOT the green ones at HF. You will need to order smaller ones to fit. No need to pull spindles then!!!

I had one, used it, enjoyed it, sold it on when I got my 9a. Now a friend of mine loves it!

Hello Jim,

Just to echo what so many have already said, the 618 is definitely not a lightweight and there have been many amazing things made with nothing more than what you have. I had a pristine 618 that was my pride and joy for a number of years and only got rid of it (much to my chagrin) because I didn't have room for two lathes in my small shop. I still miss it.

Two things: it appears there is a lot of sawdust on the various parts - you want to get that off as soon as possible as it attracts moisture and will be a constant source of corrosion (aka rust!)

The other thing is make sure you contact Clausing directly for any required parts - they still carry many, if not most, and often their prices are a fraction of what used items go for on evilBay. This is an old price list but gives you an idea of what the prices are. The numbers relate directly to those in the manual for the 618 - if you don't have it let me know.

View attachment Clausing Parts Price List 618.pdf

BTW - nice banjo track over the video - is that you? I have a Stelling Red Fox but the banjo is much better than the owner.

nice banjo track over the video - is that you?

No - just a random youtube supplied soundtrack. Thanks for the parts tip. I spent a few hours cleaning today and made a good dent. I also ordered a 3/8 multi-link belt. Need to get a proper bench - will probably make something.

As I clean it up and spend time looking carefully at every part, I'm becoming convinced that it was rarely used. It appears that most (if not all) of the parts have never been removed. There aren't even any scratches on screwheads and no indication that any bolt ever had a wrench on it (except the tool holder). Amazing really, because I think this one is from the 40s.

jim

As I clean it up and spend time looking carefully at every part, I'm becoming convinced that it was rarely used. It appears that most (if not all) of the parts have never been removed. There aren't even any scratches on screwheads and no indication that any bolt ever had a wrench on it (except the tool holder). Amazing really, because I think this one is from the 40s.

jim

There's a good possibility someone bought it from Sears and rarely, if ever used it! All the better for you, although even with normal use these things last a good long time with proper care.

The motor is a bit low in power but should be OK; I'd prefer a 1/2HP that was standard on these lathes. (see page 6 of this pdf) View attachment 6-18 manual.pdf You'll be happy with the segmented belt - it actually reduces vibration and noise.

Once again, congratulations on your new lathe!

The same manual I bought yesterday for $8, also the pdf version. I should have asked! Thanks for the suggestions.

I did a fair amount of research to find the correct belt at the best price. Grizzly, HF, Amazon, McMaster Carr and ebay.
The best price for the Fenner 3/8 inch Power Twist Plus V Belt 3L (4 foot) was ebay seller ohioblademan at $30 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Twist...ltDomain_0&hash=item53e1db9870#ht_2647wt_1052

Hello Jim,

Too bad about buying the manual - whatever you do, don't buy anything else like that! I think I have everything in pdf format so just ask.

That price for the Fenner is good with the free shipping and it will be a bit more than you need for the main drive as I recall. I changed both belts

DSCN9673.JPG and never regretted it. DSCN9693.JPGDSCN9704.JPGDSCN9855.JPG

You'll enjoy using that lathe!

DSCN9673.JPG DSCN9693.JPG DSCN9704.JPG DSCN9855.JPG

MikeA- That's a really nice looking lathe. I'm going to start with the motor I have, but depending on performance I may want to swap it out for something new. What are you using?

Thanks

Jim

MikeA- That's a really nice looking lathe. I'm going to start with the motor I have, but depending on performance I may want to swap it out for something new. What are you using?

Thanks

Jim

Hello Jim,

Thanks, I spent a long time getting it to the condition I wanted - here's some shots of what it looked like when I got it:
DSCN5310.jpgDSCN5312.jpgDSCN5314.jpg

It has been sitting in a leaky garage/barn for ~20 years, covered in surface rust and birds droppings!

The 1/4HP motor will do fine for most things but there will come a time when you just need a bit more and then the 1/3 or 1/2 really shines.

I was fortunate in being able to pick up an Emco Maier Maximat V10-P with milling head, a much larger lathe (10 X 26) with geared headstock, Norton QuickChange gearbox for threading, and a very accurate lathe.

DSCN5310.jpg DSCN5312.jpg DSCN5314.jpg

Auto.pilot,

I also have a 101.07301 Craftsman 6 inch lathe. Picked it up about 10 years ago.

Have the original manual (dated 1937!)

It is a nice lathe, although I am certainly not an expert in its use.

The main 'ugrade' I made was to make an up to date tool holder. The original one (in your pictures) is not very good. I made a solid post that holds the 1/4 x 1/4 carbide bits. That change, alone, made a HUGE improvement in useability.

If you need any pictures of any parts or sections of the lathe, let me know....

Back