This maybe the biggest money saver you can find...

GunsOfNavarone

Registered
Registered
Alright, I admit this may be a LITTLE misleading, however this could save you a lot of money. I went to check tracking on my lathe i just ordered (the next morning) and there are now huge tariffs on the equipment on Grizzly. I saved $362 by placing my order before today. If they have it in stock, you're safe. If it was out of stock...huge tariff.
If you're THINKING of buying something overseas, best of luck. This increase in price bums me out, but doesn't make the American version anymore affordable to me.

Apparently doesn't affect Taiwan machinery? Just Chinese?

I THINK if it is to be shipped into the USA after 7/5/18...the tariff exists. If the item is already on American soil, you're safe. Don't hold me to it, but I'm scrambling to get a mill purchased now!

From a couple of news items I've read, ships were hauling arse to get loaded and underway, I guess that makes a difference too.
We might start seeing smaller items coming through Malaysia and such. I ordered some inserts and they showed shipping through there.

You know, maybe an America made product will now be competitive.
Minimum wage is going to $15 an hour in less than two years.
California that is.
I wonder what it is in China?

They must make squat. From what I heard, if they can make a cent more down the road, their gone. So a lot of turn over. It must be true, looking at one shipment, parts are ok. The next one, missing holes, or wrong size, or just wrong. Then we get to rework a few hundred parts.....:dread:
This happens all the time.......Every month....Same crap. Engineers just shrug their shoulders and walk away. ( See wrench flying towards them) ( In My mind)

I agree with Nelson. Although I'd like to talk tariffs, lets leave it to the idiots in each countries capitals

I see now this COULD be a controversial issue, I'll do my best to skirt this. A related question though, if this now makes American made products more competitive, WHO is that? I mean in the milling/lathe/CNC/Machinist realm. Most things nowadays are MADE OF Chinese -ium.

I just got a decent sized order of carbide inserts directly from China, no added tax on it? I guess there is some kind of limit my orders are falling under. Most are usually under $100. I have 3 small orders in the mail now of various tooling. Just got in two separate orders of carbide end mills. I see that Grizzly has added the tariff cost on some of the lathes and they are showing as out of stock.

The biggest impact on my business was with the aluminum strip cost going out of sight. Thankfully I bought a two years plus supply of my most used aluminum stock 6 months ago. Aluminum has jumped at least $1 per pound in the thicker metal and the thin stuff has shot up to $3.00 more than 6 months ago. I've see some well over $6 per pound. Thats copper territory!

I talked to my main metal strip supplier and he said H14 aluminum is higher per pound than 110 copper today. I probably just bought one of the last aluminum rolls left at semi-sane pricing. But, I needed it for a new project. I'm glad I didn't pay over $6 like some folks are. I think I would just pass or buy copper.

I better not get started complaining about A2 tool steel prices! Its more than any 25% increase folks. Maybe the supply will come back and prices will become more reasonable. Aluminum pricing its just stupid right now. I guess gov types don't realize it cost much more to make Aluminum in the US than say Canada, I bet the imported aluminum will still be cheaper even with the 25%. I wish it was just 25% in increased cost, but that is not so. I bet lots of guys are hurting bad right now, I can absorb the increase for now. But, if it goes on long all end user prices will go up drastically. More than any 25%.

Back