This Old Tony chips recovery scheme!

I watched this video and was just chuckling to myself through the whole thing. My wife and kids are still wondering if I'm ok...
That video is trickier than one might think at first sight. It's not as simple as running the whole thing backwards. He has to insert short sequences of "time forwards", like when he was sprinkling the chips onto the insert. :)

Even from the very beginning, TOT has had very high video production values. It leads me to believe his day job is in video production or he has a very good relationship with someone who is in that industry..

I’ve always been amazed by TOT’s whole production. I’ve never done video editing but I have done audio mixing and the amount of time that goes into it is staggering. I have started to notice in other vids some attempts at his things like breaking things by hand, stopping when saying something that was going off and leaving you to finish the thought and just trying to inject some subtle humor.

To make a $2 part with $10,000 dollars of machines and tools from a $5 piece of scrap like the rest of us?
Well, kinda. When we are talking about making something you can’t buy, how do you assign a price? And even though the Tetris garage is full almost to gridlock all of it was bought used off CL for a fraction of what it was elsewhere. The single machine tool I paid the most for was the Delta UniDrill for $650. The only other American machine is the Atlas 7b I paid $125 for. In machine tools excluding tooling I’ll bet I’ve got way less than $5,000 in it. Being a junkyard dog much of my scrap was about that ridiculously cheap too. I guess when I told the universe I’m broke it finds ways to still tempt me.

It leads me to believe his day job is in video production
I disagree. Everything he does goes against production “norms”. One of the basic is his time on shot. Notice the opening shot, he stays on that for a loooong time. I think almost 30-40 seconds. Industry std is 6-9sec. Check this out on any tv show.

TOT seldom pans in and out. For over twenty yrs now nobody can hold a shot without moving. Drives me CRAZY, I hate it. And they wonder why ADD is rampant. Every content provider the camera is focused on them. Not TOT, just what he’s doing and his hands. TOT has long detailed closeups of what he’s doing. Everybody else it’s about them and most often the camera is way back so you can see them and often can’t see the details of what they are doing. TOT’s lighting is 180 out from every other vid out there. His light is often concentrated only on what he’s doing and often the rest of the shop is dark.

I have no idea what his day job is but I would bet it’s nothing to do with video or tv, or if it is, his vids are a conscious middle finger to what passes for production values in the industry. Obviously just my 2c.

Whether he has training or not, he has some skills in effective presentation, including superb comedic timing. And he has clever ideas about how to present things. His videos are more like miniature movies than instructional videos.

He doesn't show himself but he is still the dominant force in his production--people who care nothing about making things (like my wife) enjoy his videos because of him, not because of his lathe, however good it is at reinstalling chips and mill scale.

Rick "suspecting that he spends four or five times as much time per minute of published video than most other YouTube stars" Denney

He did in one of his videos for most of the video. Great guy. fine machinist, great videographer/youtube channel
I saw that one, and he stepped out of his persona for it, which humanized him. He seems like the kind of guy we’d all like to have for a neighbor.

Rick “admires the welding the most” Denney

Back