This Old Tony chips recovery scheme!

He did in one of his videos for most of the video. Great guy. fine machinist, great videographer/youtube channel
Was anybody else shocked by what he looked like? It so reminds me of I have several net buddies and it is funny what how I get a mental pic of what they look like from our correspondence and not once has it been anywhere close.

I disagree. Everything he does goes against production “norms”. One of the basic is his time on shot. Notice the opening shot, he stays on that for a loooong time. I think almost 30-40 seconds. Industry std is 6-9sec. Check this out on any tv show.

TOT seldom pans in and out. For over twenty yrs now nobody can hold a shot without moving. Drives me CRAZY, I hate it. And they wonder why ADD is rampant. Every content provider the camera is focused on them. Not TOT, just what he’s doing and his hands. TOT has long detailed closeups of what he’s doing. Everybody else it’s about them and most often the camera is way back so you can see them and often can’t see the details of what they are doing. TOT’s lighting is 180 out from every other vid out there. His light is often concentrated only on what he’s doing and often the rest of the shop is dark.

I have no idea what his day job is but I would bet it’s nothing to do with video or tv, or if it is, his vids are a conscious middle finger to what passes for production values in the industry. Obviously just my 2c.
Putting together insert cuts from a pile of raw is a production skill, and to get to a comedy, the timing needs to be judged to milliseconds. Random pans, and stuff like zoom in immediately followed by a zoom out are the mark of one who knows nothing about making video. In making machine videos, there are times when some will have the camera mounted on a headband. That does not work for me! The wild lurching of the image is just hard to look at! A GoPro on the head of someone flying a plane is just stupid!

Production values in industry? I completely agree. On live production, (e.g. say something like dancing on TV), the video mix operators fancy themselves as artistes, and get happy punching buttons to cut to new views, often with less than 12 frames of insert. You can get through the sequence without seeing a complete turn. It's bad judgement, and a failure to appreciate comprehension interval.

Action movie scenes that flick through short snatches of crashing chaos, with all the violent sounds, and, of course, human parts in there in complete violation of all physics, is also what turns me off. I compare to any video by TOT or Clickspring, made with the care they use, intended to impart understanding, and I see a whole different skill. To have comedy humour included is even better!

Even from the very beginning, TOT has had very high video production values. It leads me to believe his day job is in video production or he has a very good relationship with someone who is in that industry..
Yeah it was fun watching him grow his channel.
His first couple of videos were lacking his magic editing and special effects
He is one talented guy!

Back