This one has me stumped, what is it?

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
This being advertised as a ''Metal Lave'', so obviously the seller has no idea what it is either. Any ideas?

Interesting piece . :dunno: Looks big though .

It could possibly be an old VTL . Just saw the rest of the pics .

I'm sure that the person who built it was very proud of it.

Well , whatever it may be , something COOL could be made with it ! :encourage:

Just don't know what that may be at this point . Put it in the pile ! :big grin:

Looks like its made of plywood and painted?

Lava soap? Lava soap inspection machine? You know, before it leaves the factory.
Maybe the hot Lava goes in one end and the finished soap cubes on the other?
$300 for your own soap making machine seems reasonable.
Think of all the friends you could have. It comes with a serving tray.

Last edited:
Lava soap? Lava soap inspection machine? You know, before it leaves the factory.
Maybe the hot Lava goes in one end and the finished soap cubes on the other?
$300 for your own soap making machine seems reasonable.
Think of all the friends you could have. It comes with a serving tray.

At that price you should snap it up in a heartbeat. It's less than 1/10 the cost of the first soap wrapping machine model we used to test the skills of potential production line mechanics. The "wrapping" machine was a model of one originally used at Procter & Gamble to wrap bars of soap in a paper package for retail sales. It had all sorts of cams, gears, and levers that had to be perfectly timed for it to cycle a plastic block through the process. The machine flipped the block over several times and reoriented it so the paper could be folded around it. The original model cost in the $3,500.00 range with later models costing nearly $10,000.00. It seemed like a lot of money for testing mechanical skills, but those who passed the test didn't have any problems diagnosing and repairing production machine problems.

Here's a link to a newer version of the machine we used. I'll bet the cost has risen since the 1990's when we bought our latest one.

Looks like some pretty heavy steel plate in the base and head. Could probably be had for half the asking price, and worth that for the metal stock and parts. Of course I'm a sucker for oddball stuff like that. Mike

Back