This Should Be Way Easier Than I Am Making It- Furnas L-143 To Craftsman 115v Single Phase Wiring.

Yeah, that's where I was also getting confused- kept seeing the references to "start winding" or "start wires" and didn't realize these were synonymous with the condenser wires. AC of course doesn't care about polarity (otherwise all one would have to do is turn the plug over in the outlet), but as far as the motor is concerned it does care about the polarity of the condenser which is what is being flipped by the switch. Hence why the motor must be allowed to come to a complete stop before reversing- moving through off and into the other direction with it still spinning resupplies power but the motor continues in the direction of current rotation. As luck would have it, he 50/50 shot of direction of rotation matching the way I wired it (FOR being forward not reverse) even came out right the first time.

Happy camper :)

Hey it works....... first time....... in the correct rotation...... with out blowing the breaker.........but I am having a ***** of a time closing the switch cover.
Now that I know it works I may have to see if I can squeeze all the 6 wires inside that tiny, very small, little switch cup.....

Thanks for all the help.

Bob C

A little clarification: "start winding" or "start wires" usually means "start leg" which is the start winding, the capacitor, and the centrifugal switch all strung together in series with two leads brought out.
The motor can be reversed by swapping either the start leg or the run winding(s)- either will reverse the motor
Mark

Back