H-M Supporter Gold Member
Another site. No answers
How is it that Here you answer
You press like ore dislike
You comment
And you say hi
I'm just wondering

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing you have to remember, is that the other site is geared to those that make their living in the machining business. The site owner has a few rules about what is acceptable in the way of tools and skills and what is not. The members over there get highly frustrated when someone new joins and does not take the time to even look at what is permitted, or asks basic questions that simple searches there or on other machining sites would provide a multitude of answers.

Conversely, H-M is geared to those that do not have to produce their income from machining, and it has fewer restrictions on what is acceptable. Both sites have their places. I'm a member of both and have been for a long time. If I have a question about something that is obviously a production or specialty related, it gets asked there. If my question is more generic or one-off related, I'll often ask here first.

Both site owners are good people and both sites have great members and lots of information can be gleaned from them. Just look at the rules for a site, no matter what it is and stay within the boundaries and enjoy them.

Because nasty remarks are not allowed on this forum, and helpfulness is encouraged; because advice is embraced by the less experienced, the more knowlegeable person is encouraged to give advice.

This site is a level playing field. Yes there are Pros and yes there are Neophytes, both are treated the same. You are not lorded over here because someone has been a machinist for X+ years. We learn to.

"Billy G"

I agree with cvairwerks in that they are different sites geared to different audiences. There are some with little patience on the PM site, but in general most participants answer questions in a professional manner. I have been a member there for many years. Occasionally I get flamed for mentioning something someone thinks isn't a "professional" tool. The few times it's happened I just reply with some literature from the manufacturer to explain the tool in question was marketed to the professional market. It may not be a current production machine, but it falls within the rules set up by the owner it can be discussed. There are times when you might get a little heat from some members, but you just have to defend your position and go with the flow. If you remain professional, and don't let emotions or bias cloud questions and answers you'll get along fine.

If and when you post there be sure to read the rules first. People there are far more familiar with the "professional" grade machines than the "hobbyist" grades. On the other hand there are far more members familiar with the "hobbyist" types and grades of machinery on this site. Personally I think there's a considerable amount of information and knowledge to be gained from both sites.

I'm not able to find any rules on that other site, other than a warning against vulgarity. Any hints on where to find them?

Last edited by a moderator:
What I'm about to say has nothing to do with that particular site.
In general any web site that caters to a trade or a profession that chooses to exclude this subject or that topic or frowns upon certain questions, will eventually become an exclusive club with 20-30 regular members that only chit chat amongst themselves, I've seen it in woodworking hobby forums, newcomers are indirectly told they're not welcome , the search feature is usually rammed down your throat, you'd feel so uncomfortable to join in or be one of the guys so to speak that you stop asking any question in case you will be ridiculed.

The lifeline of any forum is new /fresh blood in the form of new members who are enthusiastic ,who want to explore, who ask many questions otherwise as I said you'll end up with an exclusive club made of a bunch of cantankerous old know it alls who barely respect /tolerate each other but no one else.

Back