This site vis a vis others

Hi all, just a friendly reminder of the site rules before this good discussion goes a little too far with the comparison of other forums:

DO NOT CRITICIZE OR DEFAME THIS FORUM OR OTHER FORUMS:
9. <snip> Please do not disparage or make any negative comments about other machinist forums on this forum. That is not part of this forum's activities.

As my dear departed mother said, "if you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all"; 'nuff said.

Hi all, just a friendly reminder of the site rules before this good discussion goes a little too far with the comparison of other forums:

9. <snip> Please do not disparage or make any negative comments about other machinist forums on this forum. That is not part of this forum's activities.

Good reminder Bryan. I have been interested in this thread and so far I think it has been balanced and informative. But you are right it could go south quickly. That it hasn't I think is also a tribute to our colleagues here.

David

9. Please do not disparage or make any negative comments about other machinist forums on this forum. That is not part of this forum's activities.

Good reminder Bryan. I have been interested in this thread and so far I think it has been balanced and informative. But you are right it could go south quickly. That it hasn't I think is also a tribute to our colleagues here.

David

Agreed! Friendly reminders between friendly people creates good conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of respect for our rule (above), I have removed the name of the forum from the thread title and posts.
We all know who it is. The idea is that on our forum, we don't want to fire shots at others. Even if they fire at us.
As has been said, everything has its place. Every source of information is valuable to us.

If you look in the site history forum you will see why this forum is here.
Briefly, I went to a forum, acted pretty hokey, got some unfriendly treatment, took it personally, reacted poorly, and was shown the door.
That was many years ago now, no need to go back there.

As a result, I needed a place to be able to ask hobbyist-level questions without having to worry.
I had no place. So I started a place. Ask any question you like. Ask the same question 10 times. It's no big deal here.
There was no commercial purpose and still isn't on this site.
We don't sell advertising, magazines, books, or anything else.
No one makes a penny off this place, and that is an essential difference.
The ads we show and the paid memberships keep us going.
Everything is a tax-deductible contribution to help keep us going.
We just want to help, and we want to get experienced people like those of you in this thread to help us help others.
Make videos, please. Upload them to our video library. We have the ability to store them. Show others how you do things.
If you need money, I will give you a donation to help defray your costs. You can always post them on YouTube also.
Do an article for us showing how to do something. You can win the Project of the Month award!

As someone said, there are no apprenticeships in the US anymore.
Community colleges don't always teach machining anymore.
But these skills are needed, and someone has to teach them.
Not to get into politics, but, if things get more expensive offshore, more things may be made in the US.
There will have to be sources of the skills needed to teach people how to do this.
Share your knowledge- it's your legacy.

Like these guys said before me, I did my apprenticeship in the seventies after 4 years in vocational high school taking machine tool and die technology as a major. I was working in machine shop during my last two years of high school , my day started at 5am and ended at 10pm . After graduation I still held the part time and full time while earning my apprenticeship for another 2years or so. So I guess I can say I'm in the last of the old time way of earning the title . I'm not a cnc machine man by no means but there isn't and old machine I'm not acquainted with in one way or another. Does it make me better then others not so much but I'm like those old timers willing to share and help . Ill never forget my vocational school and the training by my shop teachers they were even older machinist not booked to death college indoctrinated . Common sense sometimes is more prevalent then book learning. People learn best by doing mistakes make learning . So if the site isn't willing to help all its a site I only visit when I need to , not very often for sure . Here I feel the need and try to do my best to help.
Nelson God bless you for this , it's a great place to visit for all .

Let me say something to those of you from those other sites.

The guys there, especially the experts, are welcome here.
If you go there too, please invite them.
We need them to teach us, if they can overlook the fact that we're hobbyists.
All we ask is don't beat up on us.

Some of them look down on this place.
But, it's a good place, really.
We want to learn.
We want to listen.
If they want some incentives in exchange for their instruction, let them talk to me.
I'm not the terrible guy they think I am.

Back