This Southbend 9” lathe a good buy?

Hi guys, not sure if I should make a new post but I had a question what this copper tab thing was on the end of my motor. It looks like it could be a ground strap since the motor is essentially rubber mounted, or it could be just something stuck in there.

Also, I have to run 220v to my shed for this (thought about getting a 110v motor but I think 220v would be a good thing to have out there) and I’m looking to find what amperage the motor is so I can wire it up to my breaker box. My friend is an electrician and asked what the amperage the motor was. I couldn’t find anything for him so he just said a 15amp 2 pole breaker would be fine.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 4D50B0ED-0447-40C5-9451-F47C93D357DB.jpeg
    4D50B0ED-0447-40C5-9451-F47C93D357DB.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
  • 19275739-A1BC-4461-B7F0-AE185C08214D.jpeg
    19275739-A1BC-4461-B7F0-AE185C08214D.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
The amp on the motor plate reads 3.9. The strap should mount between the rubber and the motor mount bracket. I would suggest installing a ground to the frame from the power source as well as to the motor.
Jay

The amp on the motor plate reads 3.9. The strap should mount between the rubber and the motor mount bracket. I would suggest installing a ground to the frame from the power source as well as to the motor.
Jay

Ah yes! After I posted this I thought that the A could be for amps, but I wasn’t sure, I was expecting something higher. And yes, the switch has a ground on it’s body which is attached to the lathe itself. Thanks!

Second guessing the 220 vs 110 volt motor. I would have to do a lot to run the 220 wiring so I think I’m looking for a 1/3 - 1/2 hp 110v motor (that hp should be fine, right?). I was hoping this motor can be wired for 110 like the motors on my drill press and smaller lathe but it didn’t say that it can so I’m guessing not.

Also, my shop isn’t big, is there anyway to make the depth of the whole lathe/motor assembly a little smaller so it won’t stick out as much? Maybe getting a shorter belt? Even an inch or so would be nice.

Thanks!

putting the countershaft above the lathe or under the bench would do the trick, though that would take a fair degree of fab work to put together. Not impossible by any stretch, but maybe get the thing together and working first, then it'll become clearer how you can make it fit better.

putting the countershaft above the lathe or under the bench would do the trick, though that would take a fair degree of fab work to put together. Not impossible by any stretch, but maybe get the thing together and working first, then it'll become clearer how you can make it fit better.
Yeah I was thinking of mounting it above. But you’re right, better to get it set up before any modifications. Thanks

Dave, I am new and bought a Fragram LHB 108 two months ago and some say it is copied from the Southbend and pictures on the web show other lathes-like Select, David, Lin Huan, etc. I just want to inform you I received my lathe without any tools or accessories, manual and some broken parts - not a good buy at $530 !!! I believe this should be seen as your birthday present and you scored a lot! Well done and enjoy it.

Dave, I am new and bought a Fragram LHB 108 two months ago and some say it is copied from the Southbend and pictures on the web show other lathes-like Select, David, Lin Huan, etc. I just want to inform you I received my lathe without any tools or accessories, manual and some broken parts - not a good buy at $530 !!! I believe this should be seen as your birthday present and you scored a lot! Well done and enjoy it.
Thanks brother, so far I’m even enjoying it while it’s in the corner sitting on the ground. Can’t wait till it’s on it’s legs and powered up!

Back