This Stuff Just Keeps Following Me Home

you could put it right back to work, with a few mods you could do many things.
engraving
sign work
duplication of parts/pieces-convert to a mega 3D printer???
list goes on and on, if i had a few beers and some time to think i could easily rattle off more uses.

Jim I see we both have a big orange lift...oh wait :eek: dang will yours lift a 3700 lb lathe? As for the CNC router you can router aluminum does that give you any ideas?

you could put it right back to work, with a few mods you could do many things.
engraving
sign work
duplication of parts/pieces-convert to a mega 3D printer???
list goes on and on, if i had a few beers and some time to think i could easily rattle off more uses.

It will do all of that and more. I have actually done fine engraving and signs on that machine, as well as some major hogging of various materials. My biggest problem is that I have no idea how to market the router services. Craigslist may be my friend here.

Jim I see we both have a big orange lift...oh wait :eek: dang will yours lift a 3700 lb lathe? As for the CNC router you can router aluminum does that give you any ideas?

I'm pretty sure Big Orange could handle a couple 3700# machines at the same time.

If I had some aluminum parts to cut, it would do it, no problem there. I just don't have any jobs for it.

My latest acquisition, a 48x96, CNC router. 12HP spindle. I bought it for less than scrap price, trying to figure out what to do with it. It runs fine, all upgraded controls. Anybody know how to market router services? The frame is all aluminum, about 3000# or more. Can't decide if I should salvage the controls and hardware and scrap the frame, or try to put it to work. I don't have enough power in my shop to run the spindle, but I could put a 3.25 HP Porter-Cable router motor on it and run it that way. The other problem is that it takes up a 10x16 foot space in my shop.

Any suggestions?

A bigger shop and upgraded electrical service.

What sort of motor does it have? You might be able to run it at reduced rating.

A bigger shop would be nice, I have plenty of room just not the $$. I have 3 phase available at the street, but it would be expensive to install the service and then there is dealing with the guberment for permits and stuff, don't really want to go there. This is a rural farming area so there is 3 phase run everywhere to operate irrigation pumps.

The motor is a 230V, 3 phase, 12HP, 2 pole, high speed spindle motor. Runs at a nominal 400Hz. About 32 amps input to the VFD on 3 phase. I did see a 25KW, 3 phase generator on Craigslist for about $2500 so that could be an option.

That's a hell of a motor for a CNC router, more importantly what's the RPM and collet size? Not sure what you could do with that, build custom castle doors maybe with CNC carvings. Replica pirate treasure chests.

Well, if we could figure out what to make I could run something like that. At work.

I have 230v and 460v transformers the size of large refrigerators on the lab floor, and about 800 amps or so to work with. But I'm fairly certain the boss wouldn't appreciate me moving 300 or so servers out to the parking lot to do so... :rolleyes:

I'd be interested in hearing what you eventually end up making with that thing. :)

Back