This weekends project: Rocker Clamps

DMS

Active User
Registered
It's been a while since I have spent any real time in the shop. This weekend I was finally able to free up some time, and this is what I turned out, a pair of rocker clamps in aluminum. The bearing pivot is 1/2" drill rod. They are made to use a 1/4" stud.

Aside form being useful, they were good practice with the new CNC conversion, which I am still finding a little intimidating because of the it's ruthless efficiency in destroying tools whenever I make an error. I managed to make all the parts over the last two days, and I didn't even break an endmill ;)

IMG_20120528_205314.jpg

really nice
your comment about breaking tools how well i knew
what are you using for cam software i was going nutts trying different things but now for 2d i'm using d2nc for most things. it made it so easy to do now, right from inside mach3 it also nests parts for making a bunch at one time ( I do not work for them lol ) it would cut all your clamps out of one piece of stock in one program. you dont have to use mach3 to use it it posts gcode I was really having trouble untill I found this it sounds confusing but go to the dxf import section thats where things get easy. the only problem i had with it was pockets with islands right now it dont do islands but i have found work arounds
check it out http://www.d2nc.com/
steve

55.jpg 66.jpg

I have played with DolphinCAM (the trial version). So far I haven't been able to get it to export g-code, but I haven't spent a ton of time. The drawing portion of Dolphin is a lot like AutoCAD, which I have not spent much time using, and which I never particularly liked. It's pretty cheap though, and the CAM portion seems pretty well thought out.

All of the stuff I have made so far has been hand-coded. I draw things out in cad, and then use the dimensions to write the G-code, works well, but is slow. Guess it's good experience in any case.

What I would really like is a copy of SolidWorks/SolidCam, but I don't really want to sell one of my kidneys to afford it. I am contemplating Alibre CAD/CAM. I downloaded the trial a month or two ago. The cad portion is reasonably good, but still much clunkier than SolidWorks. At 1/2-1/3 the price though, it may be what I end up with.

DMS
Nice Job you have done there. They are allmost too pretty to use as clamps.:biggrin:

Fine looking Job, thanks for sharing:cool:

Thanks for the compliments. I hid all the rough spots for the pictures ;) There is a mark where the cutter digs in at some places (that's what I get for climb milling without ballscrews), and a couple spots where the surface finish is cr*p from a built up edge I got on the second unit from not running the mist (just air).

I plan to make a couple more, maybe change the design a little to use a captive pivot (I can already tell it's going to be a pain with them just "resting" on the top. I see myself on my knees peering under the bench after they hit the floor and make a run for it.

This guy was my inspiration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8UWA2LWW4Q

I plan to make a couple more, maybe change the design a little to use a captive pivot (I can already tell it's going to be a pain with them just "resting" on the top. I see myself on my knees peering under the bench after they hit the floor and make a run for it.

This guy was my inspiration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8UWA2LWW4Q

Just keep your stud/bolt and T nut in it and you shouldn't have any issues. Nice job & another project on my "To Do" list

Back