Thought I Would Make This Chest Of Drawers Useful

Waterlooboy2hp

Registered
Registered
I did not make this from scratch, but after I got into restoring it, I may as well have. Mom had me paint, as she put it, "that dirty old black oak dresser", back in 1960. The poor thing was worn out even then.

The rails for the drawers had grooves worn up to 1/4" deep in them. The bottom edges of the drawer ends, had just as much material worn off. In order to open and close the drawers, you had to keep a running list of 4 letter words handy. After painting it white, I used it in my bedroom at home. It has followed me for 55 more years, in that worn out condition.
Last year, I inlaid the drawer rails with strips of rock maple and rebuilt the ends of each drawer. When I striped the paint of the first drawer, I knew right away, that it was not Oak. I was delighted to find it to be made of Walnut. Made all the work worth while. I also had to make 1 replacement drawer pull. That is the made from scratch part. Carved it out with my pocket knife, while watching TV at night. May not be perfect, but you won`t see the difference, if you are looking at the dresser from the next town. The top is one piece of wood, 18 1/4" x 40 1/2". The dresser dates to 1870. My Grandfather (born 1877), came to America in 1908 and acquired it sometime after that.

Here is a before & after photo. --- John

UgXIaWm.jpg

ANHC0AB.jpg

Last edited:
Nice restoration John! Just curious, what is the finish?...Dave.[/QUOTE

====================================================

2 coats of Polyurethane. I did add the wheels. The dresser is so-o-o-o heavy to move without them. Might also note, that except for about 6 partially installed production aid wood screws , at the factory, the entire dresser is glued together. --- John

WOW !! You did a great job of restoring a monument to the craftsmanship from the past. I love it.

Mule

Wow! It's beautiful. I love walnut. And the replacement pull is which one? I don't need to be nearly that faraway to no be able to see which one of them is not a perfect match. It seems to me we are sometimes or own worst critic. I would be proud of this like a new daddy.
Are the locks functional?

Wow! It's beautiful. I love walnut. And the replacement pull is which one? I don't need to be nearly that faraway to no be able to see which one of them is not a perfect match. It seems to me we are sometimes or own worst critic. I would be proud of this like a new daddy.
Are the locks functional?
===================================================

The replacement pull, that I made, is the left side of the 2ed drawer. If you look close at the same pull in the Before photo, you can see a chunk broken out of it, right where your fingers would hook under it.

All the locks are working. I have just not re-installed them yet. Something to do on a rainy day. ----- John

Back