Thoughts on an Eisen 1236GH vs. a Grizzly G9036 (or KentKLS1340a)

mksj

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Been using my Optimum BF-30 mill for a number of years and need to do some turning of small parts on a lathe. I will need to do some minimal threading at this point, but doubt I will ever need to do more than 56 TPI. Still, it would be nice not have to deal with change gears for the most part. Looking for a new lathe, preferably 12x36, but 13x30 or 13x40 would also be ok. Don't want to deal with old US iron, that is too big and heavy for me to move. Also, having had other Chinese machinery (with a number of issues), quality of the lathe is my main concern. I would like to keep the budget without tooling under 6K.

So I believe I have narrowed the field down to an Eisen 1236GH or a Grizzly G9036 (or what seems to be the equivalent in a Kent KLS1340a) and like to get some input on which one others would suggest. Interestingly the seems to be many similar versions of the G9036, the Kent KLS1340a has the same parts list, but they seem to differ on some of the specifications. The 1236GH is made in Taiwan and has a high level of fit and finish, but has an open gearbox and lacks the brake, coolant system and light on the G9036. Spec wise I have attached some information on the models under consideration. My understanding is that the quality on the G9036/KLS1340a is a bit better than the G4003G or G0750G (and similar clones), and the Eisen 1236GH is probably a step up from all of these. If I go with the 1236GH, I will probably put on a 2-3 HP 3 phase motor and a VFD. I hate pulley changes and the cost to convert to a VFD macine is quite nominal. So probably my two main questions are open vs. a closed gearbox and no brake vs. brake, are these features important enough to offset the quality difference between these two machines. Are there any other similar "quality" lathes in this category to consider. Vendor wise, I choose the machines above because of their specifications, supposed quality, they are in stock and their suppliers reply to inquiries and have stock replacement parts.

Thanks in advance.

[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

LATHE GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS.jpg

Just a heads up on gear changes for threading TPI. For the Grizzly and Kent lathes, to get the complete range, three gear changes are required, 48, 46, and 52 tooth. May not be a big deal, except perhaps for 13 TPI. Below is from the Kent operation manual, which isn't the greatest quality.

Kent Lathe TPI Chart 1.jpg

For what it's worth, I wish I would have spent the extra cash and bought the Eisen 12x36 instead of the Grizzly G4003G. In my experience the quality of the Taiwan machines vs Chinese is definitely worth the extra cost. I have had no problems with the open QCGB on my G4003G and have never felt the need for a foot brake. Plus, if you do upgrade to a VFD, you'll have the option of an electronic brake.

Bob

Kent Lathe TPI Chart 1.jpg

Thank you for your comments and the additional information on the gear changes, although would probably be very uncommon for me to use those TPI ranges. The manuals are not the clearest (or not available for the Eisen). The quality issue is a big concern for me, as I had many issues with my Chinese Optimum mill, so hopefully with the lathe there will be less problems by going to a Taiwan product.

I cant comment on the other lathes but I run a Kent 1340a at my day job and I'm not real impressed with it. I run old American iron at home but before I got the old iron I had a Smithy 1324 3in1 and I think that was a better lathe than the Kent 1340a that I run at work. I think it is just not rigid enough.

I feel your pain with the BF-30! I just recently sold my Optimum BF-30 mill and replaced it with an Acer 9x49 E-Mill, which is a knee mill made in Taiwan. While it is like comparing apples and oranges, what a difference there is with the Acer! The fit and finish was great and it is incredibly quiet. The loudest thing on the mill is the cooling fan on the motor. My BF-30 was never right since new. The gearbox was awfully loud and the motor driver was second rate causing a lot of cogging. I would definitely recommend Taiwan if you can afford it.

Bob

We have a decently new kent at school. It's ok but the two sharps and turnado are more preferred by most. The slackers or new guys get stuck on the kent. It just aint smooth by any account.

This could be student neglect though

If you are going to be doing a lot of threading I would recommend one with the Norton style quick change gearbox. That is one of the things that drew me to the Precision Mathews PM1340GT especially the fact that this particular lathe is made in Taiwan.

There are also a lot of people quite happy with the PM1236 which is very popular. The 1236 is a Chinese manufactured lathe. Last I heard he had a few 1236's left from the last shipment and a couple of the 1340GT's available but if you have to wait for the next delivery that could be quite a wait.

Mike.

If you are going to be doing a lot of threading I would recommend one with the Norton style quick change gearbox. That is one of the things that drew me to the Precision Mathews PM1340GT especially the fact that this particular lathe is made in Taiwan.

There are also a lot of people quite happy with the PM1236 which is very popular. The 1236 is a Chinese manufactured lathe. Last I heard he had a few 1236's left from the last shipment and a couple of the 1340GT's available but if you have to wait for the next delivery that could be quite a wait.

Mike.

The 1236's are all gone. There are 5 or 6, 1340GTs available.

Ray

The PM1340GT would be a great choice. I would stick with the Norton gear box and TPI up to 112 since it's not just about threading but cutting speed as well.

FWIW I have the Grizzly G4003G and for the past 14 months since I received it new it has been a great machine. Problem free and it does beautiful work. I expect many years of great service from it.

Dave

OK, looks like the Eisen gets the nod and appreciate the comments.

As I mentioned, I would prefer a x30 or x36 centers for my needs and space. I considered the PM1340GT and briefly spoke to Matt several weeks ago at QMT about availability of a 1330GT or 1336GT version, which he said could be special ordered. I had some additional questions on the lathe and optional VFD. I sent several electronic inquiries to Matt and Ray, and never heard back. Granted it is a busy time, but it is a problem for me. Although my planned budget allowed either machine, the 1236GH is ~$1250 less than a PM1340GT, leaving money for the VFD, collet changer/collets and quick change post.

I guess I should eventually look for a small knee mill, but the BF-30 works OK for now.
Thank you.
Mark

Back