thoughts on making suppressor core?

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm thinking of building a monocore for a 9mm carbine. I have all the paperwork . I am wondering if I could make a slant baffle monocore, similar to this:

yvE9rmw.jpg

or this:
images.jpg

I'm thinking of starting with a a 1.5" bar for the core, going into a 1.625"OD tube.

wondering if I could do this at home with my equipment and limited experience. I have a 12" Logan lathe, and a 8x28 Round column "RF31". I have no CNC on anything.

Has anyone ever done this? Any suggestions or pointers? Advice?

Scott

Use a 1.5" square bar, and mill your baffles and voids. Then turn it on the lathe to fit your tube. You can most definitely do this on the equipment you have. If I remember to, I have good pics of this approach on a different device that I can post, otherwise you can search around for Form 4 builds. Lots of ideas out there.

That would be plenty big for a 9mm. 1" will be sufficient.

Use a 1.5" square bar, and mill your baffles and voids. Then turn it on the lathe to fit your tube. You can most definitely do this on the equipment you have. If I remember to, I have good pics of this approach on a different device that I can post, otherwise you can search around for Form 4 builds. Lots of ideas out there.

I would like to see the pics you have,although I think complex baffles are not needed for this project.

That would be plenty big for a 9mm. 1" will be sufficient.

This is going on an AR carbine, and I'm going for a 'look' if you will. Something like an MP5SD.

Let me ask this another way.......

If I want to make a simple 'slant baffle' monocore, what would be the best approach? I'm thinking either mount in rotary table with tail stock, or use the vice with swivle base set at 45* and cut the baffle space with just the "X" movement. Open to ideas

I would just use a swivel vise. Drill holes first to remove the bulk, then mill the parallel sides. Swivel the vise and mill the angles side to connect.

Interesting . I'm thinking about throwing something together for my .338 Win Mag . Had it up the mountains last week and 2 shots just about did the shoulder in . Just trying to tame that recoil a bit to make this thing more enjoyable to shoot .

Interesting . I'm thinking about throwing something together for my .338 Win Mag . Had it up the mountains last week and 2 shots just about did the shoulder in . Just trying to tame that recoil a bit to make this thing more enjoyable to shoot .
I would recommend about 7 60* cones, spaced .750" apart, in a 1.625" tube.

Monocores seem cool but even a learner like my was able to make a very nice performing form 1 suppressor with 60 degree cones...and it works very well. No milling required, all parts ready right off the lathe.

Back