Thread dial indicator.

Issue #271 of Model Engineers' Workshop (September 2018) includes an article entitled "Making a Threading Indicator for a Lathe." It's on pages 58 thru 63 and continues/concludes in issue #272 (Autumn Special 2018), pages 67 thru 69. It goes into great detail, including the required parameters for both Imperial and metric (2 thru 6mm pitch) leadscrews. I have no idea how easy it it for you to get publications from the UK where you are. If need be, PM me and I can scan and email the pages to you.

If you scan them, I'd be interested in reading it.

plunger, re the picture above, just curious about how you get the gear to mesh with the lead screw.

If speed is your #1 CONCERN then buy a NC lathe, input the start Z and the end Z, start diameter and finish diameter and the lead, this can be either metric or inch, it does not matter as lead is lead regardless of units.
I don't really have money laying around to go and buy new lathes to solve one problem. But if I did have the money, that is probably an option, but I want to solve my problem the cheapest way possible and that is to make an indicator, because buying is also an issue, because I can't get one for my model lathe.

D
Michael I once asked the very same question that you asked . I recieved a pm and a guy in JHB who is very talented had the same lathe as me EMCO v13. He built me one for free .But looking at it ,theres not much to it.
Do you have a manual for this lathe because it may take the guesswork out of the size and teeth on the gear.
Heres mine. He didnt have no stamps so just colour coded the dial.
I don't see it in my manual,some pages nissing and you can't find this lathe model on the Internet.

The photo is taken from underneath.It simply rotates untill it makes contact.I only use it for odd threads like 1,25 and 1,75 mm. My pitch is 6mm and for imperial of which I do alot I never disingauge the half nut.

I made a new gear out of brass for my LeBlond. Pretty easy with a spin fixture and a home made cutter. You could even use a one tooth fly cutter type cutter. Click on the pix for full size........Bob

20181010_150808-1 (2).jpg

Last edited:
I had a South Bend lathe without a thread dial. I was lucky enough to order and receive a thread dial gear from South Bend...just as they were closing the door. Body out of aluminum tube. Mount from a slit steel pipe, with a pin that fit the apron welded to it.

Ken

T_DIAL1.jpgT_DIAL2.jpg

Back