Thread Dial

Old Iron

Active User
Registered
I have a 13" South bend and I got to thinking that the thread dial mite fit my Leblond Regal. I went to the shop and took it off the SB.

What you would have to do is turn thr gear around drill and tap a new whole and you got it. I think a 13" SB thread dail is a lot easer to find that one for a Regal.

Hope this helps someone else.

Paul

I decided to modify a extra S.B. thread dial to fit my 13" Leblond. The first thing I had to do was cut off the bracket that mounts it to the S.B. lathe

Then I made a new mount 3/8 ID 5/8 OD.

I didn't have a 5/8 ball nose end mill so I ordered one from ENCO and 2 cut off blades to get the free shipping. When I got the package the end mill wasn't there UPS lost it. I called enco and they sent me another one. Had the mill tied up for 4 days I didn't want to have to set it up again so I just left it there. anyway cutting the slot for the mount.

I then silver soldiered it in place.

I put it togather and mounted on the lathe and checked it out. I need to move the gear some because it is out of timing but it works good. Need to clean it up and paint it.

I haven't had much luck with this insert picture thing so I hope this works out.

Paul

Well that didn't work like it should.

South Bend Thread Dial.JPG New Mount.JPG Milling 2.JPG Sivler.JPG Test Fit.JPG

Great fix. How did you know the gear would match?

Great fix. How did you know the gear would match?

Joe I just checked it hoping it would, However it is not a true match but weill work fine if the timing is right.

Paul

A little blue paint and nobody will ever know!!!! That looks good Paul. I enjoy seeing something modified to fit a different application, or a different make/model. Hope you can get it fine tuned.

David

It took a few mintues last night to get it right and now I can drop it in right on the line. But now I've got to take it apart clean and paint.

Should tave long to get it back right.

Paul

Paul,

Since you mentioned having to wait on the ball end mill, is there any reason why a person could not have used a regular end mill with the part rotated 90 degrees?

Paul,

Since you mentioned having to wait on the ball end mill, is there any reason why a person could not have used a regular end mill with the part rotated 90 degrees?

Now you tell me!!:slapping: I didn't even think of that one (Old age setting in).:rofl:

Paul

Back