Thread Files - Do you use them or have them?

RandyM

Mr. Deliberate
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was wondering if anyone has or uses thread files? Seems to me they would have limited use if have you dies. Not only that, but it looks like they come in the common thread pitches.

In my experience, a boogered up thread is not going to be restored to like new. I have the thread pitch files, special rollers, special half nut things and the 60° jeweler file. None of them stand out as the go to tool when needed. But maybe the 60° file is used more often. And an eye loupe and good lighting…Good Luck, Dave

Randy
I have several thread files that I use occasionally . These are very handy on larger size shafts with threads . My die set stops at 1/2 " . I have cleaned up many threads on 3/4 " and larger shafts ....Steve

I have a thread file with the common UN thread pitches. I picked this up at a flea market last year. I use the file to clean up the end of a damaged thread so I can get a die started to clean up the rest of the thread. I feel this is a useful addition to the toolbox.

I had one or two at one time, but I think I gave them away. My 60 degree v-files that I use for metal checkering are what I use now.

And as someone above said, a good light. :)

I was wondering if anyone has or uses thread files? Seems to me they would have limited use if have you dies. Not only that, but it looks like they come in the common thread pitches.

My dad has a couple. They are quite tedious to use, but they work.... sometimes.

I have thread files that I have used many times over the years. Typically, chasing a thread with a die nut or thread cutting die is preferable but there are times when the file is the tool of choice. One good example is where the end of a thread is damaged and you can't get a die started.

Ted

I have a couple, they've been well worth what they cost. I don't have a die for every size, especially the larger ones.

Another possibility if its not super critical is single point turning sometimes. You setup just like you were going to cut the thread, and adjust the threading tool to the existing thread by moving the compound. It might not be practical if all you can grip is the bolt head, but if there is enough length so you can center drill the end first to support it with a center even that is sometimes possible. I look at all of these type solutions as non-critical sloppy answers. The right answer is to buy a or make a new threaded item if its very important.

One I saw done where a fellow wanted to preserve as much thread as possible he singled pointed it using a hand ground threading tool turned upside down. No, not like Joe Pi. He used it as a forming tool and straightened out most of the thread with a big heavy rigid lathe. Then he flipped the tool and skimmed just the lightest amount off only the area of the damaged thread. Probably not practical on a grade 8 bolt, but then you shouldn't be doing anything but replacement on an application that requires a grade 8 bolt. If I recall the application in this case was a grade 2 field bolt used as a shear pin in a piece of PTO driven equipment. Not sure why it was important to preserve the thread that way, or if he was just an OCD farm mechanic. Or maybe he was just showing me a trick he knew how to do.

Farm mechanics are an interesting lot. Another one taught me to weld muffler skins with a coat hanger and a cutting torch.

Back