Thread Files - Do you use them or have them?

I've had one for over 30 years that gets used once in a while. They also come in handy to to brake the sharp edges after single point threading on larger threads with the lathe running slow. Couple of passes and done especially with gummy material.

I keep two English and one metric on my service truck. They save the day much of the time. I love them. On a heavy equipment field truck, they don’t take up much room and they are great for cleaning up one or two spots where threads have been damaged. They just about all the time can smooth out the high spots where I can run the nut by hand over the old damaged area. I use them on large cylinder rods, axles, engine parts, power train parts, lots of places that I don’t have the correct die for, many times very large diameter threads.

I love em.

I was wondering if anyone has or uses thread files? Seems to me they would have limited use if have you dies. Not only that, but it looks like they come in the common thread pitches.
In my experience, a boogered up thread is not going to be restored to like new. I have the thread pitch files, special rollers, special half nut things and the 60° jeweler file. None of them stand out as the go to tool when needed. But maybe the 60° file is used more often. And an eye loupe and good lighting…Good Luck, Dave
Back in the days.....I had a full set , English-(square, four pitches, 55 degrees, ditto 60 deg . USS, SAE. Tip : Eyeball the angle from a good sample
A nd don't sweat it. A good thread gauge at hand.... BLJHB.

All-the-time.
Especially the end 'tips' for cleaning up internal Threads.

Thanks everyone! This is great feedback. :encourage:

Back