thread measuring 3 wires vs 2 triangles

petertha

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have neither but just wondering before I commit. The classic 3 wire measure 3-48 TPI & cost about the same as the 2 triangle system. The triangles measure 4-80 TPI and maybe one less item to drop on the floor :) Catalog says includes a chart for all standard & special threads, hopefully that means metric too. To my amateur eye the rubber harness things look a bit iffy & why do the anvils have to be so long? Any other pro's & cons I should be aware of?

SNAG-12-31-2017 0004.jpg

SNAG-12-31-2017 0005.jpg

Never used them myself but I've heard a few reviews from local machinist that liked them

Here's a real 'bottom of the barrel' budget friendly method. Since I loaned out mine Thread Mic years ago and never saw it again...
(disclaimer: It will not pass any know QA standards.)
I had to measure 7/8"-32 awhile back. I took three sewing needles, mic 'em to get a somewhat matched set.
Laid it out in a CAD drawing to get the range dimensions I needed to shoot for.
Stuck them in a bottle cork to assist in holding them, and it actually worked out pretty well.

Here's a real 'bottom of the barrel' budget friendly method. Since I loaned out mine Thread Mic years ago and never saw it again...
(disclaimer: It will not pass any know QA standards.)
I had to measure 7/8"-32 awhile back. I took three sewing needles, mic 'em to get a somewhat matched set.
Laid it out in a CAD drawing to get the range dimensions I needed to shoot for.
Stuck them in a bottle cork to assist in holding them, and it actually worked out pretty well.
Could you elaborate a bit for us beginners how you used the 3 needles and bottle cork to measure the thread please?

Trying to hold thread wires in one hand and using a micrometer in the other can be a PITA. Middle.road suggested using a cork which is a good idea. I've also heard of using grease. I'm sure there are other methods. I'm mentioning this so the OP is aware that "the rubber harness things look a bit iffy" do have value.

My .02 for the day.

Back