thread measuring 3 wires vs 2 triangles

The anvils (1 pointed, 1 V'd) are not fixed in the spindles. They can turn slightly to fit precisely in the thread grooves/points. The key thing is that it is a direct reading (no math or conversions), very handy when you are cutting to tolerance.

I didn't know they could swivel. But I mean how do the centers of the anvils line up. For every pitch its going to be displaced some different amount. Do you mean the anvils slide?

2018-01-01_23-15-23.jpg

The pointed tips and V are removable and the micrometer comes with a set of 4-5 tips. Some mics have pointed tips and V's while others have blades and V's. -All depends on how it was designed. A micrometer can measure a range of threads and you need to use different blades and V's for various pitches. They are engraved with numbers on them. They attach in various ways but they all rotate easily and precisely. Trust me on this one... the parts that contact the thread are free to rotate and auto-align with the thread. -Exactly how, depends on the mic you buy. Look at this link and scroll thru all the pictures. You see the mechanism clearly. http://www.shars.com/0-1-screw-thread-micrometer

A dedicated thread mic saves a lot of time, gives very good results and cost is darn-near the same as alternate methods.

Ray

I have read several posts on using thread wires & how much trouble they are.
Worked for years running a specialized lathe that did nothing but single point cut threads in aircraft components.
I always used thread wires, was not allowed nor did we have thread mics.
I always used a small dab of dielectric grease on top & bottom to hold wires in place.
2 wires on top, 1 wire on bottom.
The grease actually acted as a lube for a few passes.

i ground thread gages for 8 years, 140 pitch -4 pitch, always used 3 thread wires on a super electronic mike, held the small gages in your hand, 2 wires on the left and 1 on the lower right, you get good at it after a while.

An old friend of mine, now deceased, was a plantation machinist. At 92 years old, his fingers were gnarly but he could use three wires with no problem, no tape/foam/jigs/grease. In all the time I saw him cut threads, he never dropped a single wire. When I showed him my (borrowed) thread mic, he said, "What's that?" When I showed him how it was used, he nodded and picked up his thread wires and his mic and said, "Yeah, I got me one of those, too!" Personally, I think his fingers were magnetized ...

An old friend of mine, now deceased, was a plantation machinist. At 92 years old, his fingers were gnarly but he could use three wires with no problem, no tape/foam/jigs/grease. In all the time I saw him cut threads, he never dropped a single wire. When I showed him my (borrowed) thread mic, he said, "What's that?" When I showed him how it was used, he nodded and picked up his thread wires and his mic and said, "Yeah, I got me one of those, too!" Personally, I think his fingers were magnetized ...
It all comes down to having the 'touch', which unfortunately I know I don't have even a smattering of it. -hehe

Clearly, some people here need to upgrade to at least have cyborg fingers.

Back