Thread on a 'whatchamacallit'

tjb

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hello, All.

A few days ago, I was trolling through a forum (no idea which one), and I read through posts on a particular thread (not a clue what subject), and came across a comment that highlighted what appeared to be a shop-made lathe attachment (beats the heck out of me what you would call it). So if any of you can identify that attachment, would you please let me know? (No, really. I'm not joking!)

Just in case you need a little more info, here's what I can offer. The purpose of the attachment was to draw the compound towards the center of rotation as the table was being moved toward the lathe chuck. It looked like a shop-made plate was mounted beneath the ways, with a pivot arm connecting the plate to the cross slide. As the table moved toward the headstock, the pivot arm drew the cross slide inward. The result was essentially a curved taper, and many readers identified the part as a 'farrus' or 'ferrus' or 'furres' or something like that, which I gathered is a fairly common part in clock making (?). There was an accompanying you-tube video in which a chunk of brass was chucked between the headstock and tailstock and this device turned a beautiful taper into it, after which the part was threaded along its contour.

Any idea where I can re-locate this post? I've searched through several posts and you-tube videos but am having no luck (senior moment). Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a project where I suspect making such an attachment would come in handy.

I'm posting it here on 'A Beginner's Forum' because I can't think of a better place. If it should be moved, please advise.

Thanks and regards,
Terry

That's it, how do I disconnect the crossfeed screw? Unscrew the nut screw and drop the nut?

Some lathes with a straight taper attachment have telescoping cross feed lead screws, if not disconnect the screw entirely.

I remember using a taper attachment, there was a way to disconnect the leadscrew, but it's now been since 1979, and I just don't remember. I do remember chasing threads for an oil string, tapered.

It sounds like you may be referring to a device that one of the forum members made for making a clock fusee.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/radius-turning-contraption.62939/#post-518893
Thanks, RJ. I know I'm late on responding to you, but I'm only just now discovering I'm able to send messages on H-M again. (Evidently, some programming glitch in new software.)

That's exactly the post I was looking for. Thanks for saving me a lot more searching.

Regards.

Hello, All.

A few days ago, I was trolling through a forum (no idea which one), and I read through posts on a particular thread (not a clue what subject), and came across a comment that highlighted what appeared to be a shop-made lathe attachment (beats the heck out of me what you would call it). So if any of you can identify that attachment, would you please let me know? (No, really. I'm not joking!)

Just in case you need a little more info, here's what I can offer. The purpose of the attachment was to draw the compound towards the center of rotation as the table was being moved toward the lathe chuck. It looked like a shop-made plate was mounted beneath the ways, with a pivot arm connecting the plate to the cross slide. As the table moved toward the headstock, the pivot arm drew the cross slide inward. The result was essentially a curved taper, and many readers identified the part as a 'farrus' or 'ferrus' or 'furres' or something like that, which I gathered is a fairly common part in clock making (?). There was an accompanying you-tube video in which a chunk of brass was chucked between the headstock and tailstock and this device turned a beautiful taper into it, after which the part was threaded along its contour.

Any idea where I can re-locate this post? I've searched through several posts and you-tube videos but am having no luck (senior moment). Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a project where I suspect making such an attachment would come in handy.

I'm posting it here on 'A Beginner's Forum' because I can't think of a better place. If it should be moved, please advise.

Thanks and regards,
Terry
That article was in the september/october 2017 issue of home shop machinest.

Reactions: tjb
Back