Threaded chuck is stuck

Replace that chunk of wood you've got there in the picture with a solid piece of steel or rod ,at least 1×1" or larger and 12-18" long. Put it on your backplate opposite of how you have the wood. Put something down to protect the ways, I would probably use some wood with a moving blanket on top. Lock the spindle without using back gears, and give the bar a mighty whack (down) with a 2 or 3 lb hammer. Repeat until the backplate is free.

Another option would be to carefully, and I mean carefully make a horizontal cut on the collar of the backplate with an abrasive cut off wheel until you can just see the top of the threads and drive a chisel into the cut without going into the threads, surgery.

Huge cheater bar and an adjustable wrench in an anti clockwise motion and of came loose after i put my whole body weight on it, thanks doe all the suggestions!
The hex bar and impact wrench didn't work with the Chuck this tight but it is a nice one to keep in mind.
I 'd like to put some anti seize on the threads, is it safe to do do? I don't have copper or ceramic grease on hand but i do have petroleum jelly and lithium grease, do those work as well?

Attachments

• 20200630_220218.jpg
    20200630_220218.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 27
  • 20200630_220825.jpg
    20200630_220825.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
I 'd like to put some anti seize on the threads, is it safe to do do? I don't have copper or ceramic grease on hand but i do have petroleum jelly and lithium grease, do those work as well?

I prefer Blue Moly for machine tool threads but lithium grease should be alright..... just make sure to keep it clean of chips when putting the chuck back on... and try to keep the layer of grease very thin....

Dont use copper anti-seize on steel or iron machine tool parts it can cause rust....
Try not to use any grease or anti-seize with metal in it.....

I prefer Blue Moly for machine tool threads but lithium grease should be alright..... just make sure to keep it clean of chips when putting the chuck back on... and try to keep the layer of grease very thin....

Dont use copper anti-seize on steel or iron machine tool parts it can cause rust....
Really good point on the galvanic corrosion

Huh? I've taken apart stuff that was put together probably before I was born that have worked outside all its life and been so, so grateful to the guy that used Copperslip. I've never heard of it causing rust.
I wouldn't use it on Aluminium though because of that Galvanic thingy. I use Copperslip on steel and have done for years without a problem. I usually carry some Nicklecoate with me now as it can be used on anything,(I prefer the Loctite stuff as it is silver, the CRC one is black and looks messy), and for marine work it is damn near impossible to beat Rescuesteel.

Since the spindle won't be getting very hot I'd be tempted to use waterproof bearing grease (like for boat trailer wheels). The anti seize lubes rated for high temperatures are messy and unnecessary for this application.

Huh? I've taken apart stuff that was put together probably before I was born that have worked outside all its life and been so, so grateful to the guy that used Copperslip. I've never heard of it causing rust.
I wouldn't use it on Aluminium though because of that Galvanic thingy. I use Copperslip on steel and have done for years without a problem. I usually carry some Nicklecoate with me now as it can be used on anything,(I prefer the Loctite stuff as it is silver, the CRC one is black and looks messy), and for marine work it is damn near impossible to beat Rescuesteel.

All I know is when I cut copper on the lathe and dont clean it up my whole bed turns red with rust........lol

Back