Threading at 400 RPM

Jim, thanks for another great modification for the G0602. This is a winner, does t take place of the reverse tumbler and you going to post drawing?

Hi bprati: This does replace the reverse tumbler arrangement. The gear box has forward/neutral/reverse positions and thus can perform all of the basic functions of a tumbler reverse. As for publishing the drawings I wrote this up in an article for Home Shop Machinist. The article is 7,000 words in length and has 55 pictures and drawings so that would be a bit much to post on a blog site. HSM has this on the schedule to publish in the not too distant future so keep an eye out for it.

Regards,
Jim

Jim, thanks for the update. I will wait for the published article as I was in the process of starting the reverse tumbler for my G0602; but your latest upgrade looks like a must have improvement. Thanks again and please let us know when they publish your article.

Bob

Hi bprati: This does replace the reverse tumbler arrangement. The gear box has forward/neutral/reverse positions and thus can perform all of the basic functions of a tumbler reverse. As for publishing the drawings I wrote this up in an article for Home Shop Machinist. The article is 7,000 words in length and has 55 pictures and drawings so that would be a bit much to post on a blog site. HSM has this on the schedule to publish in the not too distant future so keep an eye out for it.

Regards,
Jim

Thanks I get HSM so I'll keep an eye out for this I'd very much like to put it on my DoAll 13x60.

Todd

I love this feature on my lathe, a 1942 Hendey 14x54, I haven't ever seen it on any other lathe.

PJ Ritz

In 1980 I bought a Harrison M 400 lathe, one of the fetures it had was a fast threading devise on it.For a year befor I got my CNC chuckers we theaded as fast 300 to 500 rpm or faster. carbid thread insert tooling was used. Then I added a Duplamatic traser to the back side of the cross slide, whith the traser you could pull out at a shoulder, the thead look as good as the CNC theads. Regards Red

neat idea. Is this the same function as the "quick threading attachment " that came on some earlier Clausing lathes?

My P&W has a feed screw reversing lever also, but i was told by a P&W guy not to flip it on above 200 rpm, and i have never gone against his advice!
Makes threading soo much easier. Threading on my clausing 5900 series was painful, but i still am a newb at it)

Back