Threading at 400 RPM

I'd like to set up a threading clutch like you on my DoAll 13x60 but my lead screw and my feed screw run off one input shaft and two separate threading and feed screws. I did play around today threading at 400 rpm in aluminum by running backwards and turning the tool upside down. Looks about the same but don't have to worry about stopping for the shoulder. I also tried feeding straight in instead of using the compound I was cutting a 24 tpi it works fine. I need to play a little more by changing my grind and trying it in steel but looks like I might start threading this way from now on.

Todd

• :lmao:

Hello KNZ37, I am not familiar with the Clausing so I am not sure what its capabilities were with respect to threading. I know there are several lathes have similar clutches the most common being the Hardinge tool room lathe.

Jim

Might have missed, it but I have not seen it yet.

For those have been waiting for the article on building a threading dog clutch for the G0602 lathe it is now out. I just received the advance copies this past week and the production copies should be in the mail or on the stand. I have now used my clutch unit for over a year and have completed countless threading jobs and it is truly worth the effort to construct this unit.

Jim

It was delivered today! :) awesome timing, thanks for all your work and effort and documentation Jim!

46216.jpg

46216.jpg

46216.jpg

46216.jpg

The Shoptask 3-in1 machines use the same system with the forward-neutral-reverse feed lever that can be triggered by an easily adjustable link to the carriage. Dennis

Pretty darned cool modification that has multiple uses. I won't need a carriage stop or revers tumbler, in addition to the automation of threading. Will you release a drawing set after the second article?

Back