Threading cutter

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Found this on youtube but cant make up my mind.
I thought it was clever but is it worth it or not.
Its in Italian but easy to understand

Interesting. I guess if you had more then a couple of pieces needing the same thread pitch it would be a good way to knock them out, Maybe! :dunno:

Question.......I realize technically the video shows a guy "multi point threading" however isnt he basically single point threading meaning he would need to setup his lathe to cut the correct thread pitch as if he was doing a typical single point threading job in order to pull this off, Is this a Correct statement? If Not could you please explain? Thanks

He is single pointing . He's also adding distance to which he is threading . He also loses time on the length of the undercut he has to machine . A die head chaser is either floated or fed at a slower than pitch feedrate which allows the dies to set pitch , not the feedscrew .

i was thinking it would be a good idea to use up old busted dies .... but again why bother ?
however.... if he can make full threads in 2 passes that is a big leap forward !
so far I have discovered that single point threads take a hour to cut and a gillion passes ! ....and guys, that just isn't practical....... a die will cut the threads in one pass..... so what's the point in single point threads ?
Bob.....

You don't do this for a living , and never will if that's true ! :grin:

I don't do this for a living but it reminds of an interview I went to at an aerospace company. I never got to the machining part of the interview cause I turned down the job not wanting to work nightshift. But the machine shop manager was telling me how so many people wouldn't pass the machining test part cause, well he would often say, "thank you very much for coming in but we can just buy steel wool". :D

I haven't even came close to a 1/8th of a gazillion passes total on all the threads I've single pointed since I started this hobby & I single point often, I rarely use dies. :big grin:

It's Italian. It's this type of approach that brought Ferrari Automobili into this world. But, no, I'll either use the die as delivered or single point.

You don't do this for a living , and never will if that's true ! :grin:
why thank you for stating the obvious ! but the idea is sense there is mutable cutters on his threading tool sense he was clever enough to put a busted die back into action, couldn't the thread be cut in a single pass ? or at the most 2 ??????
Bob.....

. Let alone the error that could be picked up using the feed screw along with the multiple teeth , I sure wouldn't want to try this on anything other than plastic . Kinda the same principle as a scissor type knurler vs. a conventional knurling tool . We all love to make things out of dull tools , broken bits etc , but are they practical ? :dunno:

Back