Threading Die Head

aliva

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
My brother bought a small used lathe a few years back ( Standard Modern ) It came with a few bits and some tooling. In one box was a Rickert Shafer Automatic Die Head .
He didn't want it so I have it. I've never used it so I'm going to sell it. If I can. But what's it worth? Here are couple of pics. Any idea on it's value?

Die Head (1).jpgDie Head 2.jpgDie Head 3.jpgDies.jpg

This is a die head that I have never heard of, I doubt very much that any other sets of chasers could be found, and the British series chasers would not be of much value. I would not think it would be of much value, maybe $50 at best.

I just bought a Geometric head with 4 thread chasing sets for $250. You can easily get an incredibly wide range of thread sets, but it's expensive. Fortunately the threads I got are almost exactly what I use most of the time. 10-32, 1/4-20, 1/2-13 and 5/16-something.

For some reason geometric die heads don't seem to much in favor these days. I regularly visit a couple used equipment dealers. They both have hundreds of heads and thousands of chaser sets in stock. I've often considered buying one, but for the number of times it would get used, and the room it would take to store the heads and all the chasers I've passed.

I do still see new units for sale from Travers and other tool houses. They seem extremely costly in that the least expensive ones list for $1,359.00 and the most expensive are $1,959.00. Then there are the chaser sets. They cost between $30.00 and $266.00 per set for the standard length, and "projection" style cost between $96.00 and $146.00 per set. I do a considerable amount of threading (both internal and external) but I could never justify a die head setup at those prices.

It's interesting that this subject came up at this time. I'm currently looking into better organizing my taps and dies. I haven't done an actual count yet, but I'm guessing there in in the neighborhood of 500 taps and nearly as many dies. With sizes ranging from 0-80 to 2"-8. While some of the larger ones were expensive, I doubt I have more invested in the entire collection than what a single die head and necessary chasers would cost. I feel a bit better spending a few hundred dollars on quality Huot cabinets seeing what the alternative would cost.

I have a pair of heads with chasers down the basement that I used a lot way back when on manual and cnc lathes . Depends on the type of work being done if they are an investment or not .

Fortunately, since this is a hobby site, justification of a thing is not part of the process. Just prioritization.
i like the way that you can fine tune the fit with these geometric heads...was not expecting that.

Back