Threading dies that don't suck?

I didn't look to see which set I had before. Yup, it was the crappy one. I'd had it floating around for years only used on soft material once or twice. Broke a tap last time I tried to use one. I've been buying YG1 HSS taps and have had very good experience with them. They cut like butter compared to the HF taps and hardware store taps from Dewalt etc.. Sure, they cost about $15/ea, so they better work well.

I haven't decided on dies yet. I've just been single point threading any external threads. I might try a few HSS dies and a nice brand name die holder or perhaps make my own. It would be nice to have a few sizes I don't need to swap gears for when I only need one. The HSS dies I see around tend to cost about the same as the nice taps I've been buying, ~$15/ea. I've decided if I do, they will be the adjustable HSS type, not the fixed style most sets come with. Last time I tried a cheaper die I ended up spending more time fighting with it than I did changing the gears and running the thread on the lathe. The more expensive HF set might well be better, but I don't think I'll be going that way.

Ever try to use a LH die for a RH thread ? We pulled this on a newer mechanic down the shop years ago . Kept us smiling for hours ! HSS is the only way to go when it matters btw . I have to extract a lot of grade 8 bolts out of extrusion dies at work everyday , and bolts are easier to remove than cheap taps . Old GTD's are hard to beat and sometimes they pop up at yard sales and such . ( if I don't have a thousand of them I don't have one ) :rolleyes:

Back