Threading dies that don't suck?

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have been trying to get threads on 6061 with HF dies. It's not happening. I broke both handles off the die stock, I'm reasonably sure it's made of plastic painted to look like metal. And I'm no closer to having threads.

I think I'm going to grind a custom tool to single point them for this project, but I would like to know how to identify dies that are worth buying. I found some taps that I like, I'm just trying to plan ahead and order them before I need them. But dies are proving more difficult to sort through the trash out there. I'll probably put a die holder for the lathe on the project list, but a decent hand holder might be nice to have as well.

Or maybe I just need to single point everything...

plastic painted to look like metal.

LOL!

Are you referring to the Pittsburgh set? Otherwise infamously called "****tsburgh set" by most machinists? If so, I have the same, and it was a nightmare to work with.

One good tip I have to give you, is if you ever pick up some good old fasionsioned Made in Germany stuff, which everyone loves to borrow (and never return), you can hide those in your HF packaging and suddenly no one will want to borrow your stuff again. Best tip ever!

Another great tip, is visit a lot of garage sales this spring/summer if you can. Often you can grab an old-timer's stuff on the super cheap because family members don't know what to do with it. Most don't know value of HSS vs Carbon...

You can't have any die last if it's not HSS. Don't waste your money on carbon steel dies, and those are most of what is sold nowadays, so you have to look and make sure, You will have to pay for the HSS dies though.

I've got a Gearwrench tap and die set that I really like. It also has a ratcheting die handle with adapters for taps.

I should have also noted that the only really "good" die is an automatic die, such as a Geometric (and others, but Geometric is the easiest to set up).

LOL!

Are you referring to the Pittsburgh set? Otherwise infamously called "s***tsburgh set" by most machinists? If so, I have the same, and it was a nightmare to work with.

Yup, that's the one. I have actually twisted one of the taps up. That stuff doesn't deserve to even be recycled. I've tempted to build a foundry just to melt them down. And get and anvil so I can literally beat the $hit out of them.

I've been buying HSS taps from YG-1 and been happy with them. I only have a few, but I don't mind standardizing on a few sizes to start with. That's what I was looking for in dies, though they are rare it seems. Most of the commonly available stuff is the carbon steel type.

I've been watching local classifieds and such. I'll try to hit garage sales and such as well. I guess I might be doing more single point threading for a while.

Just as a reference, McMaster has HSS dies, and the smaller sizes up to around 5/16" are in the range of 30 plus dollars each. If you can't find some used from an old machinist or at auction, by them one at a time as you need them and build up a good quality set.

I just picked up a pretty complete assortment of 15 HSS dies up to 1/2 in. on eBay. All U.S. made. Didn't pay that much, about $32. Be patient and NEVER pay retail.

I don't do a lot of threading large stuff with dies, however all mine are carbon steel. If the job isn't that demanding I will start with a slightly smaller diameter if I don't need 75% thread. Also I try to make a taper or lead in for the die to start, and part it off if it can't be left on.

What size are you using?

David

Back