Threading for a brake

Armourer

Registered
Registered
Hey all, I have got my confidence up enough now that I want to thread a barrel for a brake. I don't have any brakes kicking around and was just wondering what the tenon length would be for a 1/2X28TPI thread?. Is there a universal length or is it dependent on the brake you put on? Thanks.

I don't think they are universal at all... as many threads as there are lathe-owning smiths. I think a good starting point for your 1/2-28 thread is to cut a 1/2" long tenon.

Barrel threading drawings are available from several suppressor manufacturers. That is the spec I use.

Thanks for the help, I was thinking there must be some sort of standard length as some factory rifles come threaded already and it would be kind of point less to have them threaded if they never worked for any breaks on the market.

Hey all, I have got my confidence up enough now that I want to thread a barrel for a brake. I don't have any brakes kicking around and was just wondering what the tenon length would be for a 1/2X28TPI thread?. Is there a universal length or is it dependent on the brake you put on? Thanks.
.400-.438 for indexing on shoulder behind threads
.460 for indexing on muzzle

Hope this helps

I’ve done a bunch of brakes 5/8 seems to be what most are depending on the manufacturer. I’ve seen them as long as 3/4. I like to do most mine 5/8-24 if I can (just a standard I like). I’ve had to do some 1/2-32 in lager caliber hunting contour barrels. a barrel that contours down to .60 on the muzzle gets kinda thin

In support of post no.6:
Rather risky to thread the barrel without knowing the threads on the brake. What is the hurry to thread the barrel if you have not acquired the brake? It might limit your choices later.
With the brake on hand you could thread the barrel to the best fit.

Back