Threading for beginners

Finally gathered up all the basic stuff to start threading, I think... Threading wires, micrometer, thread pitch gauge (U.S) , fish tail gauge, and some tap and dies.

I have watched a lot of videos and read a lot of stuff but this is still a bit intimidating. Equations to figure out size and charts with all kinds of numbers for outer and inner diameters, tool angles...etc

Not sure I understand what the charts on my lathe are telling me exactly as to speed of lathe and gear selection, etc..
Or what kind of threads will it cut as is no change gear..lol
What tool in the arsenal should I choose?

I need some practice and understanding of how to make a matching set of threads, i.e. internal and external fitting threads for a tool height check tool.

Will post progress pics along the way to hopefully help others new to threading.

IMG_4191.JPG

IMG_4192.JPG

IMG_4193.JPG

IMG_4197.JPG

IMG_4199.JPG

IMG_4200.JPG

Have you tried adjusting the axle spacing on the middle gear sets as described on page 21 of the owners manual? Page 22 also mentions adjusting the "quadrant angle" to adjust the gear meshing width.

When my gears were new I found some of the gears were very tight on the axle and if they are not seated all the way then the meshing gears didn't line up.

When you loosen the nut on the axle swing arm (not sure what it's really called), behind the bottom gear make sure the swing arm hasn't moved in or out, on it's axle, when you tighten it.

Gear mesh was good, just the top gear when spun manually would also spin the axle and attaching nut would spin loose.

In the future I will remember to where some gloves as its a messy job, have grease under all my nails..lol

Loosening the swing arm with the gears all the way, removing the bolt and spacer allows the swing to rotate all the way down, making it easier to reattach the gears.

I snapped some pictures of the change gear operation, way more than I expected, had to file a couple pcs to get better fit. But overall a simple thing to do.
I see now why some people will not buy a lathe with change gears. So much more simple to shift the gears with a handle vs manually pulling them.
I guess with myself having more time than dime it will work great!!

IMG_4212.JPG

IMG_4218.JPG

IMG_4237.JPG

IMG_4238.JPG

IMG_4242.JPG

Remember that after doing your threading, return the gears to the original setup for setting feeds. Otherwise, you will get some feeds that you were not expecting...

So save the gears out that I just took off? Really..lol
I was wondering about this today.
I was leaning towards leaving it, unless it feeds odd.
Does it state somewhere what the stock configuration is and what it would thread or how fast the rate of feed is?

The chart at the top left has the feed gearing. On mine, the one on the left was the default. The number in the columns is the feed rate.

Ok , thats what I thought, just didnt make sense to me why two different sets listed. also the two pictures in that chart, whats the difference and use of this? Pic 4193

Thanks

The gears all went back on and adjusted out great with the lil set screw on the nut!! BIg help!!

4193 shows the feed rates for the carriage and the cross feed. The top set is the carriage. That's what those icons are trying to show you, but like all icons they don't mean much until you know what they are!

Glad that helped, it took me some goofing around with things before I got that set screw figured out, might as well save someone else the hassle.

I am often puzzled by the problems that people have with threading on a lathe, it is not that difficult.
The radial position of the spindle and the axial position of the tool must remain coupled, on a manual lathe this is achieved by way of the lead screw geared to the spindle.

If you are unsure of your gear choice on a lathe small enough to rotate the spindle by hand place a dial indicator on the bed and engage the 1/2 nuts and rotate the spindle 1 revolution , this will be the thread lead. If say a 20 TPI thread the indicator will move 1/20" per revolution of the spindle. One TPI lead off is easily seen this way.

Back