Threading for beginners

Finally gathered up all the basic stuff to start threading, I think... Threading wires, micrometer, thread pitch gauge (U.S) , fish tail gauge, and some tap and dies.

I have watched a lot of videos and read a lot of stuff but this is still a bit intimidating. Equations to figure out size and charts with all kinds of numbers for outer and inner diameters, tool angles...etc

Not sure I understand what the charts on my lathe are telling me exactly as to speed of lathe and gear selection, etc..
Or what kind of threads will it cut as is no change gear..lol
What tool in the arsenal should I choose?

I need some practice and understanding of how to make a matching set of threads, i.e. internal and external fitting threads for a tool height check tool.

Will post progress pics along the way to hopefully help others new to threading.

IMG_4191.JPG

IMG_4192.JPG

IMG_4193.JPG

IMG_4197.JPG

IMG_4199.JPG

IMG_4200.JPG

I have never been able to decipher those charts on the import mills either!

Don’t overthink the treading too much, when you first start you will make mistakes! Get some stock and do lots of practice cuts, get familiar with how your machine acts and keep at it for awhile before you actually cut threads on a part you spent hours machining and ruin it!

I’ve been cutting threads for several years and I still screw it up sometimes! I finally bought a set of thread wires recently, but still haven’t used them.

When practicing just try to get the threads to fit in a nut without too much slop at first also remember to take small depth cuts with each pass.

Perfection comes with experience!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think I have the same brand thread wires.

The paper that comes with them has a typo on it (unless they have changed it but that seems unlikely)

I did copy one from another brand.

:)

Attachments

• threadWireChart.pdf
    26 KB · Views: 21
The photos of the lathe showing the charts on it appear to only show feed per revolution in both imperial and metric. There should be additional charts that show threading combinations. The layout of the gear train appears to show that the lathe is capable of changing gears to achieve different rates of advance of the lead screw per revolution. What make and model lathe is it? Did you get the lathe new? Did it come with any additional change gears? Do you have a manual for use of the lathe?

All the information you need to change thread pitch is in those charts.

In image # 4197 the lower part of the chart (white) is for threads per inch.
The upper part of the chart (blue) shows the gears and locations for them to produce the pitches listed below .

Image #4193 shows a simplified map of your lathe's gear train. Your lathe will also have a means of adjusting the gear train to accommodate different diameters of gears.

It's a dirty job, bring an nice rag out.

In school machine shop, the teacher showed us how to grind a tool to fit the fishtail gage, how to set it up in the lathe, using the fishtail gage and how to set the tool on center using the point of the tailstock center; we learned how to set up the QC for the thread we wanted to cut, and just went at it, using only a appropriate nut to gage the fit. I hardly ever use thread wires, they are a pain in the butt! If a thread is fussy for fit, I use a thread micrometer, they are much easier to use than wires, and can be bought used for not a terrible amount of money. Do not waste your cash on insert threading tools, they break way too easily, I use HSS tools made by Aloris, they are sharpened only on top and last a very long time.

Weiss WBL250f Lathe , Picked it up new from Dro Pro's has all the change gears and manuals. Just not real clear after reading 5 times on the threading section.

Thought some of you could help me out step by step tutorial on threading.
I have plenty of 1/2" to 1/4" steel and some 1/4" aluminum up to 3/8" aluminum stock.

Let me know an easy size to practice , I will get the gears changed till I get it..lol
Starting with aluminum seems best so let me know a set of size dimensions and I will start setting up...

Many thanks, my intent is to do a picture step by step thread so others can follow later how to start threading.. Tools, angles, formulas..etc

Back