Threading Help

sorry about that, couldn't figure out how to post from my phone. That's a 3 inch 2 tpi acme nut that I cut the other day at work. Set compound at 14 degrees from perpendicular. Threading is one of those things that just becomes easier with practice. I generally cut with the compound and then feed straight in towards the end of the thread to clean up the backside of my threads. I thought you did a great job for a first thread . keep up the good work!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, you guys were spot on. Apparently, I needed to set the scale at 60 degrees on the Grizzly (I used 59). Doh! It's my first thread, so please forgive me.
I'll give your method a try using the 61degree compound setting which will be perpendicular to the work and threading in on the compound.
We'll see.

View attachment 187936

My first thread looked EXACTLY like the one posted by OP:). Thankfully we learn quickly.

Great job with that second thread. Looks great.

Why would you resurrect a four year old thread - then not say anything about it?

Shoot, I didn't check that I too was replying to a 4 year old thread :bang head:

Why would you resurrect a four year old thread - then not say anything about it?

@O1 has only been here 6 weeks, and is probably still trying to get to know the site software.
Likely just "finger trouble", or trouble figuring out the quote function.
Maybe he decided not to post, but couldn't figure out how to delete the quote he started with.
No harm done!

Remember we are the friendly machinist forum.
-brino

@O1 has only been here 6 weeks, and is probably still trying to get to know the site software.
Likely just "finger trouble", or trouble figuring out the quote function.
Maybe he decided not to post, but couldn't figure out how to delete the quote he started with.
No harm done!

Remember we are the friendly machinist forum.
-brino

Another upside to this is that the original posts had some great graphics about common threading mistakes. Honestly better than most of the similar posts I've seen recently. Maybe a couple of people will learn something :)

Back