Threading inserts.....Joe Pi style

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
Hi guys.

Where can I purchase the type of carbide Threading inserts and appropriate toolholder Joe Pi uses in these YouTube videos. I want them not because he uses them but I like the type of insert. I buy all my inerts online,but don't know the description or if they are available on ebay or aliexpress. Can someone help with this

Here are the links:

Or how I can contact him?

Kennametal NT3R is what that looks like. There are many equivalents out there. Personally, I like the NTK-3R as it has a ground edge, chip breaker and covers a wider TPI range.

Edit: You need the NT3 for coarse threads though, < 10 TPI I think, which looks like that is what he is doing there.

Last edited:
What "K" number after the NT3R?

Here are the left-handed counterparts. We use Widia now that we have switched over to Fastenal from MSC as our tool supplier, but we still have these around (Widia's are locked in a vending machine).

Can't see it in the photo, but the NT has a light hone on the cutting edge. I am guessing this is beneficial for machining coarse threads, because i have never seen one of those sharp like the NTK.

ueIFXDd.jpg

They are top knotch inserts from Kennemetal . I have a few .

If you are looking at threading tools, you might look at the lay down type which are much more common and economical. Each insert has three cutting points vs one for the Kennametal. In particular with threading inserts, I have noticed that the generic inexpensive insert brands do not last as long as more name brand types. I have been using the Carmex brand which is an Iscar brand. I am still using the same lay down insert going on its 2nd year, broke one point from dropping it as opposed to wearing it out. I am using Carmex holders which have anvils under the insert.

20200117_091233.jpg
Laydown Threading inserts 16 AG60 .jpg

Back