Threading inserts.....Joe Pi style

If you are looking at threading tools, you might look at the lay down type which are much more common and economical. Each insert has three cutting points vs one for the Kennametal. In particular with threading inserts, I have noticed that the generic inexpensive insert brands do not last as long as more name brand types. I have been using the Carmex brand which is an Iscar brand. I am still using the same lay down insert going on its 2nd year, broke one point from dropping it as opposed to wearing it out. I am using Carmex holders which have anvils under the insert.

View attachment 316307
View attachment 316303
Kennametal top notch has two cutting edges, not one. Unless you are talking NGD deep grooving inserts, those have a single cutting edge and fit the same holder. Awesome inserts, but you certainly pay a premium for them.

I agree that lay down is more economical for threading, but the lay down grooving inserts are terrible. Still, a few more holders are ultimately cheaper than sustaining inserts for the versatility and rigidity of top notch style.

Back