Threading issue

seconded...drill it out and tap it for what you can make. Alternately, you could get a 6 tpi die for the diameter and do it manually instead of using your lathe.

The original legs are plastic and only about 5/8" thick. I really believe it would just chowder under the weight.
I have a friend with a bigger lathe, I asked him what his goes to. If all else fails I have two options, try the 8tpi and see if it fits, or buy an acme die.

If it only engages 1 1/4 thread does that mean you can get to the other side? If so use a smaller SAE thread and put a nut on it.

It's for leveling a stove.... While that is extremely feasible to use jam nuts and any threaded rod, the method of leveling the stove in place is impossible. I don't have 36" long wrenches.

My friends 12" lathe will do 6tpi. I'm going to use his tomorrow probably.

I need to home up on my acme threading.

Used a friend's lathe. A craftex ct043n. It goes down to 4tpi.
So, this is the first time (as an adult) I've used another modern lathe. I have to say, I'm pretty stuck on mine. Maybe it has more to do with I'm used to mine. I know it's moods, the way it breathes, when it's on its time of the month. Whatever, I didn't like his lathe.
His lathe is bigger than mine (10x28. His 12x36). But it felt cheap. The way the gear levers are set up is just foolish. Mine, everything is sequential. Click a lever further you speed up, click it back you slow down. His, is just all over the place. Its almost like figuring out a combination lock just to set the speed and feeds. He's let it get rusty. The ways are rusty beyond the first 8" of regularly used travel. Made me kind of upset... He also has an old bridgeport that he's let go crappy too. Breaks my heart. I'd love to take the Bridgeport off his hands.

Anyways. Took me almost an hour to figure out the combination of change gears and gear box settings. The manual was useless, referred to the similar grizzly manual, no luck, then realized I was an idiot and the name plate gear table makes perfect sense I just didn't see it at first... Duh... seems I do that quite often...

Anyways again. Threaded the parts. Cut them in reverse with the tool upside down so I could feed away from the chuck. Completely chowdered the first attempt cause I missed the thread dial and half nut and the part was slipping in the jaws. The rest came out great.

Now I'm home finishing off the bases. Getting them glued and screwed together. Reasonably happy.
Best oven leveling feet you'd ever see...

IMG_20170911_220056.jpg

Back