Threading prep question.

Most of the stuff we make in our home hobby shops are one off projects and do not really need to meet any standard of size or tolerance, but simply need to fit together well enough to suit the intended application. If we are single pointing 1" (~25mm) threads, both internal and external, all they need to do is fit together well enough to do the job, does not matter whether they match any numbers in any reference. If they are .050" large or small in diameter, as long as they fit each other well enough for the application, then all is good. You can even use an arbitrary odd TPI, just to confuse someone who inherits it later. :eek 2: That said, practice making standard threads to tolerance can be important for fitting our work to existing parts which may vary in fit within the tolerance range.

I have made some "sloppy" threads but try to do better especially on stuff going out the door. I also missed the point about the "plug", tapered threads are special for me , perhaps a bolt and gasket would work.
Ray

Back